+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How is your 17mth olds development?

Do you think having an older sibling contributes to your little one learning quicker?

I'm amazed by the words and things my little cherub says/does particularly the past few weeks re his speech.
    He is just 17mths. The amount of words he says, putting words together, can put his blocks in the slot of his truck, he copies absolutely everything you say, he can differentiate between hot and cold in that he knows not to go near the oven when it's on or near cups of tea/ coffee because they are hot and continually says "hot". He tells us when he has done a poo and holds his pants.
    Shakes his head no, will touch the part that hurts if he has fallen over or something and says "ouch".

The one thing I wish he wasn't doing so much is climbing. I have found him in the most amazing places that you just wouldn't expect him to be able to get too and he has no fear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Your lil man sounds very clever.

I think it could go both ways. My little sister was 3 before she started talking properly because with two older siblings we talked for her and all she had to do was grunt and point at something and we would do it or get it for her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Just depends on the kid. They all learn at different rates and have different motivations for focus and learning etc.

My 16month old is an only child without day care. He does pretty well all that you describe, builds small towers out of blocks, groups similar items together, identifies and says some colours etc. His language both verbal and non-verbal as well as fine motor are really good. The trade off is that gross motor is not in the same field.

There are kids in my mothers group who are completely opposite. They are total athletes but don't say very much and use whine as the universal language for "I need/want/am/dislike/feel/etc".

The most advanced all rounder of our group is actually an only child. She makes the rest of our kids look like babies. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I don't know about the older sibling thing but my 18 mo is constantly amazing us. I think at this age they just make such huge leaps and bounds daily that you can't keep up. I don't think my DS is particularly bright, they all have things they are good at and things they aren't. Eg, my DS comprehends everything, but another girl his age says far more words but less comprehension.

He uses two word sentences, knows quite a few colors (we didn't go to any special effort to teach him), tells me when he's doing/about to do a wee, knows a lot of animals and their sounds, etc. He knows hot and to blow on hot food (he blows on the heater too), kisses my tummy cos there's a baby in there, etc. He's not much of a climber but that's fine with me!

He understands everything you say as well. And he's just started copying stuff - his new thing is holding a finger up and saying "back" then waving and walking off - like back in a minute which is what his dad does. And we asked him yesterday where he was going and he said "walk". Ahh it's a great age.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How is your 17mth olds development?

All depends on the child really. Miss C was always really advanced but then Miss B was slower due to medical reasons and the twins were prem plus complications on top of that so as for physical milestones its the opposite for us.
    Mentally miss B is advanced i think a lot had to do with miss C they love reading and learning together

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 17mo is ahead of her older brother, but that's not saying much, he rarely speaks, but communicates well using other methods. She's a little more 'typical' of a 17mo child, she's not joining words together, but knows many actions and independent words, she's also a bit of a parrot. She has exceptional ball handling skill, she can throw and catch a ball and even shoot hoops.

Thanks
    Reviews

My 17 month old DD is an absolute delight
    As far as development she's very into climbing, unscrewing and screwing bottle caps, drawing holding her pen properly, and jumping. She can identify the letters in her name (in caps only) - eg I say 'which is A' and she points. She has quite a few words (about 40) and stringing 2-3 word sentences, but also speaks a lot of 'alien' too, but very good at getting her point across. She knows a few colours, red is her favourite. She can tell u what sounds animals make (eg says 'dog woof woof' 'cat meoooooow') and point out specific things in books (eg butterflies on the page etc). She also loves to play music, we get her on my DHs drum kit and she bangs out some beats and she loves to strum the guitar making up songs. I often find her merrily making music on the xylophone or bongo drums too
    She is an only child and I am fortunate enough to stay at home with her, so she has a lot of learning time one on one.
    I can't get enough of her! This age is amazing! And how much the can learn from one day to the next!!