+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    of course you pay for your own meal at a restaurant..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Party invites where u pay

Yeah I expect to pay if I'm invited to a restaurant. Though like for my 21st I had on the invite main meals priced $17-25. So people knew what to expect because a lot of my friends were also 21ish so cost was a factor.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 26-08-2012 at 14:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Party invites where u pay

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Every time I go to a restaurant for someone's birthday, everyone pays for their own meal and my friends and I chip in so the birthday girl/boy doesn't pay.
    Yep, this is my experience too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I got a printed invite, in the mail, which did not state that I needed to pay, then I would assume the host was covering the cost.

It is RUDE to send a formal invite, without stating that you would need to pay on the night.

I understand if you were invite to a restaurant via text, FB or face to face that you would then assume you were covering your own meal.

But a formal invite? That says to me that all costs are covered, and to bring a gift in lieu of paying for a meal.

Now, you have no idea if you are to buy a gift, or front up the cost of the meal... I would say the situation is rude all round.

Perhaps just out and out ask the host if you need to pay for your meal or not. Will save a headache lol.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

mummaof4  (26-08-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have never, ever been to a birthday party at a restaurant where meals were provided. I kinda expect to buy my meal at a restaurant, birthday parties aren't an exception and I wouldn't expect them to be. This goes for informal and formal invitations. I doubt people would celebrate much otherwise...how expensive that would be!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mum2one99 View Post
    I always assume I'm paying my own way and often the table will pay extra to cover the birthday girl/boy's meal. Its their birthday so why would they pay for your meal??
    Yep I always make sure I contribute to the birthday person's dinner as well

Thanks
    Reviews

I would expect to pay for my own meal. God people are funny. So this poor lady, who's just trying to organise a birthday dinner, is rude for not mentioning money on the invite? As PP's have said, my friends and I not only pay for our own meals, but we cover the birthday person too. I actually think its really tacky that this question is being asked at all.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-08-2012),Maybelline  (26-08-2012),Witwicky  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Yeah my initial feeling is its rude to assume your meal will be covered. But I guess it's probably a culture/upbringing thing.

Though is it a set menu? Prepaid/ordered meal? That I suppose would annoy me if I wasn't told that I would be paying X amount for X with no option to choose what I eat or budget for.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 26-08-2012 at 15:01.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Glover  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I would assume to pay unless the invite said dinner/nibbles provided.
    I dont have any problem with this personally.
    Can you call the birthday girl to thank her for thr invite and just ask?

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Yeah my initial feeling is its rude to assume your meal will be covered. But I guess it's probably a culture/upbringing thing.
    I think it's definitely a cultural thing. I have some friends that if I offered to pay for my own meal, or bring drinks/food to a gathering at their home they'd be absolutely HORRIFIED and almost offended because it would be indicating that I thought that they couldn't afford it. It's a big reflection on their social status.
    Obviously they're Aussies now, but they came here from Indonesia and it can take a while to settle into the idea that we offer to bring food or pay for ourselves not to be rude but to relieve burden from them.

One friend said he actually asked someone why they disliked him so when they brought around dessert for after dinner . He laughs about it now but at the time he'd only been in the country for a short time and didn't yet know that Aussies in general tend to prefer to pay their own way. It's our way of being generous I guess .
    (For the record, there's now a running joke about whether or not to take dessert to his house in case he gets offended. I'm pretty sure he started it too ).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-08-2012)