+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Too sleepy?

My newborn is 6 days old and has been regularly sleeping for 4-5 hours. She's currently still asleep, last feed was at 6am. I've read that I should wake her but don't feel right about it. My husband and I are good sleepers and my mum said I was like this as a bub. I'm worried that of she's tired she needs to sleep but also want to keep up demand for my milk. Any advice? If waking her is the best solution I will do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Too sleepy?

Newbies sleep lots in the first weeks. I'd tho wake after 2hrs during the day and let sleep overnight. Your bub probably has days and nights confused.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you're doing the right thing - listening to your instincts. She is still very young so I don't think you need to wake her. She is very tired from her journey into the world. I think it's too early to try any schedule, just let her tell you what she needs. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awww congrats on your new bub!
    Id go with your instincts on this one, regardless of what anyone is telling you! Dont wake a sleeping baby!
    You may need to express a little milk if you feel uncomfortable. This will help with your supply. There is a reason bub's is sleeping for these long stints - Growth!
    It might not last for long so put your feet up and enjoy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://www.koraorganics.com/blog/liv...super-sleeper/

You want baby to have between 8 and 12 breastfeeds in 24 hours in the early days. One longer sleep is fine to let her sleep, but if every sleep is long and she isn't feeding much then she might need a bit of encouragement to feed.

How are her nappies? You want 5 heavy disposable nappies in a day, or around 8 wet cloth nappies. In the first week, babies usually poop every nappy and too few poops can indicate they need more milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she's giving you the required amount of wet and dirty nappies each day and gaining weight I wouldn't be too worried.

My newbie is 10 days old but because of weight gain and bf issues I can't let her go more than 2 hours during the day without a feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your new baby for 6 days old, that sounds fine to let her sleep if she;s got wet nappie and is gaining weight, in my opinion. You may find she 'wakes up' when she's about 2-3 weeks old and she will need to feed more often. My DD ( now 4 weeks old) slept for the first few weeks- literally slept the whole time except for feeds every 4-5 hrs, then she 'woke up' and she now feeds more and has awake times and less sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Too sleepy?

My DD was the same; literally slept all the time in the first weeks but they outgrow it.. Totally normal x

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 14 day old newbie can sleep a good 4-5 hours without waking for a feed. He makes up for it when he is awake! The longest he has gone is overnight for 7 hours straight, mind you he did feed 3 times in the 2 hours before going to sleep and then had two huge feeds in the morning.

Every baby is different - do what feels right for you and your baby.
    Last edited by Taiyed; 26-08-2012 at 21:03. Reason: Finishing post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Too sleepy?

Enjoy it, my DD did that, now at 6m I cant get her to sleep for longer than 2hrs day or night!