+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default ED dr implied i caused my children's disabilities!

TBH I don't really think its that big a deal, so personally, I wouldn't complain, but if you are annoyed about it then maybe you should.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Bumum, thats exactly it, i wasnt asking this dr to diagnose my son's disabilities, my lil man was there because he had stopped eating for 5 days and was on day two of no liquids. I dont see how whether or not i drank during my pregnancy (well really she was saying did i drink for both of my pregnancies since both of them have autism) was going to help dx his infected lymph gland? She seemed surprised ihad two on the spectrum and decided to vocalise her train of thought to figure put why this is so, she wasnt filling out a chart or taking notes, this question along with the one about us seeing an occupational therapist was one purely to satisfy her own curiosity.

I have indeed been asked those questions before; during the dx of both of my boys disabilities. It has been asked in a respectful manner, not the way i was asked this time, especially when it was so irrelevent to anything.

I can appreciate where you are coming from nowhere, i do understand that these things do need to be asked and discussed in certain circumstances. But i just dont think this was one of them.

Im sorry if i offended you that was not my intention, I just dont want you to be upset thinking that it was against you when it may of been the dr getting a history, some drs need to go to charm school i agree but often then a*se wholes are dam ED drs and the ones you want in a emergancy resus situation.

I had one Dr in the ed say to me How the HELL did you manage to let her sugars this low, you should know the signs, My response was She has been sick all week trying to keep her out of hospital is a tuff gig with calls back and forth to the surgeon and being up all night i took a break and had a sleep her dad was watching her and didnt realise the signs of it going down till it was too late. One of nurses said to me im sorry he asked that so rude and my response was thats fine he needed to know what happened. We have also had drs assume by her chart that she is not as functioning as she is and there for think her lisless is normal for her when in fact its not.
    But its all about getting the history and fixing the accute issue.

I am sory if i offended you it wasnt my intention

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    fearless - i can definitely see where nowhere is coming from as well. if my son was in a state where he needed urgent medical attention and they were asking me everything and anything to see if it could lead to treatment then id cop it on the chin (as i have done in the past)

we however were not in that situation, we were in the waiting room for 2.5 hours, brought into the paed unit and waited another 35 minutes, the dr strolls in, my son has ANOTHER meltdown, the dr does a check over, looks in ears, mouth, feels glands, feels tummy, takes temp.

walks back out. comes back... kneels down offers my son a stamp, he refuses. then those questions came. after those 3 and only 3 questions ( anything else wrong with him? do we see OT?, did u drink during pregnancy?) she says the stuff about affects of alc on newborns and makes mention that she thinks very highly of occupational therapists, and asks us if we see a local paed. i answer, she says her supivisor will be in to give another check over and send us home. then we deal with that dr, who asked questions about the CURRENT problem, takes notes, gave another exam, gives us medication and sends us home.

so i dont think that nowhere and i are talking about the same kind of situation.

thanks everyone for your opinions and well wishes for DS#2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    Im sorry if i offended you that was not my intention, I just dont want you to be upset thinking that it was against you when it may of been the dr getting a history, some drs need to go to charm school i agree but often then a*se wholes are dam ED drs and the ones you want in a emergancy resus situation.

I had one Dr in the ed say to me How the HELL did you manage to let her sugars this low, you should know the signs, My response was She has been sick all week trying to keep her out of hospital is a tuff gig with calls back and forth to the surgeon and being up all night i took a break and had a sleep her dad was watching her and didnt realise the signs of it going down till it was too late. One of nurses said to me im sorry he asked that so rude and my response was thats fine he needed to know what happened. We have also had drs assume by her chart that she is not as functioning as she is and there for think her lisless is normal for her when in fact its not.
    But its all about getting the history and fixing the accute issue.

I am sory if i offended you it wasnt my intention
    nah you didnt offend me, like i said i can appreciate where u are coming from, and i knew that more than likely you were coming from a place of experience in a pretty critical situation.

we just werent in one of those, i didnt want to take him to hosp, but the health line nurse put me through to a gp on the phone who said they wanted him checked for dehydration sooner rather than later. he's been really ill all week, but not what i would call in an emergency state which is why i always hold off using an emergency department/taking away resources for people who actually need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    They sent us home with oral anti bitotics despite being told that he will not ingest them. They told my husband to pry my childs mouth open with his fingers in order to get them in. We did that, and my husband has multiple bloody wounds pn his fingers now. My son is still not eating and has had a few mouthfuls of liquids. Do i think we recieved good care?

No.
    If he is getting no better, you made need to ring ahead explain what happen yesterday and go back in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    TBH I don't really think its that big a deal, so personally, I wouldn't complain, but if you are annoyed about it then maybe you should.
    i've decided im not going to complain. and i can see why people who do not have the stress of a special needs child/children; dealing with judgment and ignorance and blame ALL.THE.TIME would not find it offensive.

which is actually why i put this post in the section i did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I would make a complaint. My reason would because what has you drinking in pregnancy got to do with your presentation to ED?(I know you said you didn't though) even if you did drink, it was not going to affect any treatment he was given, so the question to me was inappropriate and was just the dr being nosy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    If he is getting no better, you made need to ring ahead explain what happen yesterday and go back in.
    i'll head back to my gp tomorrow if he is no better i think. last night was damn awful and hard on him, his eyes are still effed from the strain and screaming...just couldnt go through it again unless he is in a critical state.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't have a child with special needs and I'm not one to complain. After reading your original post, I think you should. Everyone has their own opinion but I feel what the doctor asked was just inappropriate.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i've decided im not going to complain. and i can see why people who do not have the stress of a special needs child/children; dealing with judgment and ignorance and blame ALL.THE.TIME would not find it offensive.

which is actually why i put this post in the section i did.
    Oh trust me hun i know exactly what its like, i just didnt want you to think it wasa reflection on YOU more just the dr being a ED dr with great still andlittle tact

Again sorry your offended