+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Nowhere is she had been asked by pead during a autism diagnosement that would ok.
    But if your taken a child to ER for a ear/throat/chest infection type thing it is highly inappropriate. IYKIM.

Hugs DE please complain.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (26-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (26-08-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    But wouldn't she have discussed those possibilities with other professionals previously? Like when she got a diagnosis or something? I'm not really sure of exactly how these things work but it doesn't sound quite right to just come out and ask like that..

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Drs are still expected to get a full history in the ED, if they dont know the patient as its not always posible to get the buff notes up and get it from there some kids have dozens of files so they do ask there parents for history.
    IM not saying it wasnt a mean way to say it but unfortunately sometimes in these situations you gota put on your thick skin and let things roll off.

Anything that is said or asked in the ED i tend to justright it of as they are in a stressfull situation and so are you they need t get a history and dont often work it the best way.

Im not saying the OP shouldnt be peed of at them but just to try not to read to much into it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

OM  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default ED dr implied i caused my children's disabilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    IM not saying it wasnt a mean way to say it but unfortunately sometimes in these situations you gota put on your thick skin and let things roll off.

Anything that is said or asked in the ED i tend to justright it of as they are in a stressfull situation and so are you they need t get a history and dont often work it the best way.
    But if every patient just shrugged off insensitive comments/questions like that then it becomes acceptable practice.

Highly unprofessional, I'd be very upset and would definitely complain. No relevance to the situation whatsoever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (26-08-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bumum, thats exactly it, i wasnt asking this dr to diagnose my son's disabilities, my lil man was there because he had stopped eating for 5 days and was on day two of no liquids. I dont see how whether or not i drank during my pregnancy (well really she was saying did i drink for both of my pregnancies since both of them have autism) was going to help dx his infected lymph gland? She seemed surprised ihad two on the spectrum and decided to vocalise her train of thought to figure put why this is so, she wasnt filling out a chart or taking notes, this question along with the one about us seeing an occupational therapist was one purely to satisfy her own curiosity.

I have indeed been asked those questions before; during the dx of both of my boys disabilities. It has been asked in a respectful manner, not the way i was asked this time, especially when it was so irrelevent to anything.

I can appreciate where you are coming from nowhere, i do understand that these things do need to be asked and discussed in certain circumstances. But i just dont think this was one of them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    [QUOTE=MrsOhara;6792319]But if every patient just shrugged off insensitive comments/questions like that then it becomes acceptable practice.

Highly unprofessional, I'd be very upset and would definitely complain. No relevance to the situation whatsoever.[/QUOT

Ok im obviously wrong just in the last 6 years of dealing with ED i have always been under the impression that they need to get a full history in the ED as anything can be relivant, its not a case really of brushing it of but to me i see it as them trying to get the history the fastest most effective way possible.

I wasnt trying to be mean to the OP or insensertive just a differnt way of looking at it and not to take it personally as it likely wasnt meant in that way. Hard questions are asked in the ED and they are not generaly meant as an attack or accusation, even when they can feel that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default ED dr implied i caused my children's disabilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    Drs are still expected to get a full history in the ED, if they dont know the patient as its not always posible to get the buff notes up and get it from there some kids have dozens of files so they do ask there parents for history.

Im not saying the OP shouldnt be peed of at them but just to try not to read to much into it.
    Agree ... It was mean ... But just because they are doctors doesn't mean they ate good with people ... I would prefer an abrupt, to the point doc who is a brilliant diagnostician instead of a touchy feely wishy washy doc.

Drs in the Ed especially don't have time they need info.

Op - how was the treatment of your child??? Did they get good care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Anyway i dont want to argue, i dont think when im in that situation that i need to have a thick skin, drs are meant to be professionals. We were in the paediatric unit of the ED, they were aware that he had already had multiple meltdowns in the waiting room, he had bursted blood vessels in his eyes from being so distressed... Questioning me on my pregnancies 8 and 3.5 yrs ago was not going to help my son.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (26-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (26-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think the 2 comments to me are separate.

Asking if there were any other health issues is fine (abrupt and to the point but no issue).

Asking the OP if she drank during her pregnancies to imply that drinking causes autism...totally out of line and is worthy of a complaint.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    Agree ... It was mean ... But just because they are doctors doesn't mean they ate good with people ... I would prefer an abrupt, to the point doc who is a brilliant diagnostician instead of a touchy feely wishy washy doc.

Drs in the Ed especially don't have time they need info.

Op - how was the treatment of your child??? Did they get good care?
    They sent us home with oral anti bitotics despite being told that he will not ingest them. They told my husband to pry my childs mouth open with his fingers in order to get them in. We did that, and my husband has multiple bloody wounds pn his fingers now. My son is still not eating and has had a few mouthfuls of liquids. Do i think we recieved good care?

No.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: ED dr implied i caused my children's disabilities!

DE my face was seriously like this when I read your OP > I'm glad you are speaking up, that's not ok

I can sort of see where Nowhere is coming from, maybe the Dr saw you were pregnant, and thought they should say something, but really that is up to your pregnancy care providers to discuss with you, time and place, people! And none of that Dr's bloody business. It had nothing to do with the situation. I hope your little man feels better soon

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub