+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default ED dr implied i caused my children's disabilities!

and quite honestly im quite angered by this.

Ds#2 is mega ill, we ended up at the ED last night, when the dr saw us, and they knew he has autism, she first said "anything else wrong with him in that regard?" which is offensive in itself... I said he has a language disorder and sensory processing disorder... She then questioned me about seeing an occupational therapist, i said "yes i see one for both of my children" she then says "oh they are both autistic?... Did you drink while you were pregnant?"

Um..

WTF!!!

I expect ignorance from most people, but not a Dr... I mean, i dont drink at all when im not pregnant, i dont even have rumballs at christmas time let alone drink while pregnant. (no one get uppity if you do drink while pregnant, thats your biz, i dont care)

Was then right as i was trying to hold my very strong 17kg 3 yr old during one of the biggest violent meltdowns while almost 25 weeks pregnant, the right time to try and play the blame game with me? Does itnot look like i have enough of on my plate?

Im considering making a complaint. I do not ordinarily do things like that, but this has really affected me.

Do i have reason to make a complaint?

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Ild make a complaint. I'm sorry that dr was so insensitive! I hope you feel better soon xx and I hope your little one gets better to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a moron. I would certainly complain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's shocking, you absolutely should complain. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know that not all doctors have the greatest bedside manner but that's downright rude and offensive.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd complain! Goodness, who on EARTH did she think she was? What a bish... I would have asked her if her parents had dropped her on her head when she was a baby!

Thanks
    Reviews

That is absolutely disgusting. I would definitely make a complaint. I don't know much about autism but it's my understanding that there is no known cause for it right? So why bring up alcohol??
    I had a similar experience when DD1 was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It was implied that it was my fault as I formula fed her from 6months.. I gave the DR a serving!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I have no experience with similar things, but I would type out a complaint and send it to the hospital management or area health management.

Im not easily offended but even I think The doctor was very rude and offensive ...not to mention it sounds like she has no idea about the condition.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes make a complaint.

That doctor needs some education and FAST. If they are spouting that sort of rubbish, they will be influencing other people too because it will come out as "well, it must be true as my friend who is an ED doc said so".

hugs, that doc is a moron. I hope your DS is feeling better now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If you don't make a complaint that dr will continue to make inappropriate comments to other people/parents. It's very rude. I would definitely put in writing a complaint to the hospital with the drs name and ask for a written response back about the action they will take.
    You go to the Ed for help, not judgement. What happened is not okay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly Diamond eyes I'm really sorry you had to go to the Ed last night and. Secondly you have every right to complain his comment was completely inappropriate. There should be patient liaison(sp) at the hospital and they will be your first port of call.
    Doctors can be there own very special breed of pr$&@s since studying medicine is so academically challenging that some although highly intelligent and technically capable to not have even a modicum of bedside manner or understand the importance of appropriate communication with patients and their family. A completely diff kettle if fish but I was with dh and dd at the gp and ge was talking with dh about me reading/looking at p$&n!!! Sometimes they just don't think.
    As mums we overanalyze things and feel guilt over things we sometimes have no control over. By all means complain but plz just write him/her off as being a d$&k