+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Honestly, it doesn't surprise me at all. Even here on the Hub, formula has been called poison. As a ffer, I'm so used to the attacks, both on formula and on me as a mother it becomes water off a ducks back after a while.

I sought out the ABA from the beginning with DS as he would not latch at all. I actually found them quite nice, and sympathetic as they could see there were genuine issues.

Sadly though, I know several women that have had really bad experiences with the ABA who have held a 'bf at all costs' mentality and have really made a few friends of mine feel like crap mums. I have argued for some time there needs an overhaul of the ABA and tighter reins with these extremists bc this won't increase bfing rates, this is going to leave emotional scars and leave the ABA with an even worse reputation for being militant than it already is.

I kind of feel sorry for the bfers out there that don't regurgitate this rubbish - that are pro bfing and but don't see the need to go on like loons. To those women, thanks for your understanding to ffers

and to add: I know obviously they are pro bfing, but their figures are worldwide, not in oz, and their comments are just plain insulting. I find it hard to understand how people can't see this?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (26-08-2012),PomPoms  (26-08-2012),Purple Lily  (27-08-2012),risfaerie  (26-08-2012),sparklebug  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default not so helpful advice from the ABA - all threads merged

I'm disgusted! What an ignorant woman! Yet another go at mums who formula feed- like society does not make them feel like enough of a failure!
    Hope she is removed from her position, this is not what mums need.
    I had terrible experiences the first time round, I felt terrible about not having enough of a supply.
    Sometimes formula becomes your only option- so we (society) really need to stop demonising formula feeding mums!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-08-2012),risfaerie  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes they are not fact, unless of course formula really is the same as AIDS, how pathetic, I agree with PP, hardline breast is best people will say *anything* to push their own agenda. Even if it isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    Are the claims non-factual?

The drs statement is questionable

There are risks in using formula, even in Australia.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Not much surprises me anymore, but I have to say telling mums that ffing is the same as AIDS is way OTT and beyond ridiculous from a factual POV.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    She compared the mechanism of AIDS with the effects of formula. T
    Yep - like comparing apples and crocodiles.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-08-2012),Cue  (27-08-2012),intruderalert1234  (26-08-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (27-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (26-08-2012)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Courier Mail, dodgy sensationalist writing at its absolute best! Don't let the facts get in the way of a headline pulling story

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (26-08-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I too would like to add that on the occasions I have sought help from the ABA they have been very sympathetic, supportive and provided consistent advice.

I'm saddened that this person could make such a claim for many reasons but one of them being that it does NOTHING to increase bf rates, it just drives a wedge further between ff mummies and bf mummies.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-08-2012),delirium  (26-08-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (26-08-2012),Witwicky  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Aha, the ole if you are feeling guilty about formula feeding then maybe you should address that chestnut, because of course it is all down to you as the individual right? Nothing to do with say, people saying formula is poison and comparing it with AIDS right?? Of course not.

The problem with this type of scaremongering is they are doing the breastfeeding cause a diservice.

All women should be supported, no matter how they feed, no matter if you think that their reasons are not good enough.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

babyla  (27-08-2012),bumMum  (27-08-2012),delirium  (26-08-2012),Purple Lily  (27-08-2012),risfaerie  (26-08-2012)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm an LC, and have personally be harassed by an ABA nut who accused me of being too pro formula amongst other silly things. On the whole the ABA does it's best to highly police it's leaders and their party line is research based and appropriate. There are however a number of women who volunteer for the ABA who have an axe to grind and this is why I find it so hard to get the women I advise to go to an ABA meeting. Which is a shame because it is the best, and cheapest way to succeed at breastfeeding. The fear of being made to feel inadequate is particularly high in vulnerable new mothers.

What puzzles me is that she was preaching to the converted. These people had already paid in excess of $100 to even be there. They want to breastfeed. FFS use that time to tell them what they need to know to achieve their goal. How long people want to breastfeed for, and in fact if they chose to at all, is none of our business. The vast majority of Australian women want very much to breastfeed. We don't need to tell them to. We need to help them learn how. There is so much to learn about newborn behaviour, infant feeding patterns and what is biologically normal, that spending even a minute on putting formula down is crazy. Very few parents actually want to use formula. Women are not idiots, blithely deciding that bottle feeding looks cool. They are struggling to succeed in a culture that has forgotten how normal breastfed babies behave, what breastfeeding even looks like, and in a health care system set up to promote artificial feeding.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-08-2012),BlissedOut  (26-08-2012),bumMum  (27-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (26-08-2012),delirium  (26-08-2012),risfaerie  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I really don't think the scaremongering speeches are common at the ABA. I suppose you might think it's scaremongering to hear certain facts about the cons and risks of formula feeding, but the info they provide is honest and factual. They are often accused of being 'anti-formula nazis' (not a term I agree with), for promoting breastfeeding and it's a shame. They are a breastfeeding association, I'm not really sure what people expect to hear Any advice I have ever received was excellent, factual info and delivered in a kind manner. They recommend methods to maintain breastmilk supply as opposed to switching to formula, because that's what they are there for. You mentioned literature? They provide literature to educate and assist, not to invoke guilt. If you feel guilty about FF...maybe that's something you should address?

I definitely don't agree with the comparison between AIDS and FF - I'm really hoping that it doesn't tarnish their organisation. But seriously - it's not a speech they sprout to mothers on a daily basis. As pp mentioned, it sounds like a renegade counsellor.
    I didn't say that the scaremongering was a regular feature for all ABA individuals, I said that it was not helpful. I stand by that. I also acknowledged that there are positive aspects to the ABA.

As for your comment questioning if I feel guilty about formula feeding - with my daughter I did, yes. I have genuine medical reasons for a supply issue. Despite trying my best with her, it was pretty much an exercise in swimming up****** with no paddles. I had both my doctor and my lactation consultant advise that I comp her and work on my supply. At this stage I did speak to the ABA, as I wanted some information regarding what formula would be best for my daughter as it was my intention to continue with comping. Perhaps I got a renegade counsellor as well, but the woman advised me that the best thing I could do was disregard the advice of two medical professionals and continue to attempt exclusive bfing. I won't bother with the whole experience (it was 3 years ago), but the overall experience was pretty distressing for me.

With my son however, I had no guilt, I made my own decisions with the guidance of trusted medical professionals, and I did a pretty damn good job of comp feeding/expressing/taking care of 2 midgets for a decent amount of time. Did I still have supply issues? Yep. Did I research options and find the best one for me? Certainly. Did I approach organisations which previously left me crying my eyes out and certain that I was a terrible mother who didn't love my baby enough? Nope.

I understand that the ABA is a positive and beneficial agency for many people. I certainly don't think that displaying the facts backed up with evidence is scaremongering. I'm not sure why you "suppose" that you know what I think. I will however say that I had a less than positive experience with them, and this article is right up there with the attitude I encountered when dealing with them.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Eko  (27-08-2012)