+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    There is already another thread on here discussing this issue.

I'm just confused as to what you mean by 'more'? They are generally a great, helpful organisation and a lot of the operators are hard working women who volunteer their time.
    Didn't realise there was already one, I couldn't find it. Clearly I need to try harder! In my defence, I am running on two hours sleep after a 12 hour night shift.

I meant more, in regards to other literature that I have been provided with in the past by this organisation, as well as hearing similar speeches from the ABA with my first in our clinic group.

I agree, when they stick to what they do best, that is supporting and helping breastfeeding mothers, they are great. Problem is, they don't stick to it all the time. Frightening pregnant women with emotive speeches comparing formula feeding to AIDs and going on about dead babies is not helpful, it is plain scary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dunno how much of that article is sensationalist rubbish trying to make a story from nothing...But I can see that in developing countries that
    s figure of babies dying from formula feeding could be accurate. And I agree that formula companies are for the most part out to make money, not help people.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (26-08-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Formula feeder here and I really don't think that this in any way, shape or form is rerpresentative of the work the ABA does.

It sounds like a renegade nut job on their own mission peddling their own ludicrous agenda. It's a shame but I've realised that there are people peddling their extremist views about this in many corners. They do more harm than good and the ABA knows this, this is not the agenda of the ABA.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (26-08-2012),Annabella  (26-08-2012),Gandalf  (26-08-2012),giggle berry  (26-08-2012),indah  (26-08-2012),Laksa  (26-08-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (26-08-2012),risfaerie  (26-08-2012),SPC  (26-08-2012),Witwicky  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default More ABA guilt for formula feeding mums.

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Formula feeder here and I really don't think that this in any way, shape or form is rerpresentative of the work the ABA does.

It sounds like a renegade nut job on their own mission peddling their own ludicrous agenda. It's a shame but I've realised that there are people peddling their extremist views about this in many corners. They do more harm than good and the ABA knows this, this is not the agenda of the ABA.
    I agree ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post

I agree, this individual does sound like a renegade nut job. And sure, her views are not representative of what the ABA does, and I do agree there are many positive aspects to this organisation. However, this woman is a representative of the ABA, and she allegedly represented this point of view under the banner of the ABA, at an event organised by the ABA. I have to wonder how long she has been telling pregnant women these "facts"? And would the ABA have worried about her doing so if the media had not brought it to the attention of the general public?
    As a government subsidised organisation, I would expect that there would be certain regulations and protocols that their representatives must follow. An individual voicing an opinion that formula feeding is like AIDs is just an uninformed opinion. A representative of a government subsidised organisation that is recommended by the majority public healthcare professionals as one of the best resources for new mothers voicing this opinion is a different matter.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-08-2012),Eko  (26-08-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not offended or guilted in the slightest clearly the women is an idiot that has said her opinion i dont think for a second it potrays the ABA as a whole jsut one stupid women with a big gob

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    I agree, this individual does sound like a renegade nut job. And sure, her views are not representative of what the ABA does, and I do agree there are many positive aspects to this organisation. However, this woman is a representative of the ABA, and she allegedly represented this point of view under the banner of the ABA, at an event organised by the ABA. I have to wonder how long she has been telling pregnant women these "facts"? And would the ABA have worried about her doing so if the media had not brought it to the attention of the general public?
    As a government subsidised organisation, I would expect that there would be certain regulations and protocols that their representatives must follow. An individual voicing an opinion that formula feeding is like AIDs is just an uninformed opinion. A representative of a government subsidised organisation that is recommended by the majority public healthcare professionals as one of the best resources for new mothers voicing this opinion is a different matter.
    Unfortunately, you get people like this in any and every organisation.

My feeling would be that the ABA are thanking their lucky stars that this story has come out. For 2 reasons, 1 they are able to launch an investigation into how this has occurred and then ensure to the best of their ability, that this doesn't happen again (of course there are never any guarantees) and 2. they can, with transparency inform the public that this is not aligned with their goals or beliefs - they have already done this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (26-08-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Just letting you know in case you are wondering where your thread went, all threads on this topic have been merged with the initial thread (I think we are up to 4 or 5 now).
    Cheers,
    Biscotti

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default not so helpful advice from the ABA - all threads merged

Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    Didn't realise there was already one, I couldn't find it. Clearly I need to try harder! In my defence, I am running on two hours sleep after a 12 hour night shift.

I meant more, in regards to other literature that I have been provided with in the past by this organisation, as well as hearing similar speeches from the ABA with my first in our clinic group.

I agree, when they stick to what they do best, that is supporting and helping breastfeeding mothers, they are great. Problem is, they don't stick to it all the time. Frightening pregnant women with emotive speeches comparing formula feeding to AIDs and going on about dead babies is not helpful, it is plain scary.
    I really don't think the scaremongering speeches are common at the ABA. I suppose you might think it's scaremongering to hear certain facts about the cons and risks of formula feeding, but the info they provide is honest and factual. They are often accused of being 'anti-formula nazis' (not a term I agree with), for promoting breastfeeding and it's a shame. They are a breastfeeding association, I'm not really sure what people expect to hear Any advice I have ever received was excellent, factual info and delivered in a kind manner. They recommend methods to maintain breastmilk supply as opposed to switching to formula, because that's what they are there for. You mentioned literature? They provide literature to educate and assist, not to invoke guilt. If you feel guilty about FF...maybe that's something you should address?

I definitely don't agree with the comparison between AIDS and FF - I'm really hoping that it doesn't tarnish their organisation. But seriously - it's not a speech they sprout to mothers on a daily basis. As pp mentioned, it sounds like a renegade counsellor.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (26-08-2012),giggle berry  (26-08-2012),indah  (26-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (26-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default not so helpful advice from the ABA - all threads merged

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I really don't think the scaremongering speeches are common at the ABA. I suppose you might think it's scaremongering to hear certain facts about the cons and risks of formula feeding, but the info they provide is honest and factual. They are often accused of being 'anti-formula nazis' (not a term I agree with), for promoting breastfeeding and it's a shame. They are a breastfeeding association, I'm not really sure what people expect to hear Any advice I have ever received was excellent, factual info and delivered in a kind manner. They recommend methods to maintain breastmilk supply as opposed to switching to formula, because that's what they are there for. You mentioned literature? They provide literature to educate and assist, not to invoke guilt. If you feel guilty about FF...maybe that's something you should address?

I definitely don't agree with the comparison between AIDS and FF - I'm really hoping that it doesn't tarnish their organisation. But seriously - it's not a speech they sprout to mothers on a daily basis. As pp mentioned, it sounds like a renegade counsellor.

I agree with all you have said.

In regards to the above, this is also my experience. Even when I called to ask how to go about offering my DS the occasional bottle of formula without disrupting my supply! I expected to get grief over that because of the "nazi" rumour, however, the volunteer I spoke to was lovely, kind, supportive and informative.
    Last edited by giggle berry; 27-08-2012 at 15:02.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (26-08-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast