+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default can reflux babies self settle ?

Hi HLE, sounds like you ate doing a wonderful job with bubs. My ds is a severe refluxer and at 27 months he's no better. We have changed meds a few times to try to get it right. So it really bugs me when 'they' say they'll grow out of it. Can I suggest you try and get into see a paediatric gastroenterologist. It made a difference for us.

All 3 of my kids had reflux and all wanted to be fed to sleep. Even my you vest who is the worst. Do what you want to do now, and worry about down the track later, as it's a long road with a refluxer - and exhausting. Best wishes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

HLE it is such a tough thing and you are doing so well. This stuff is physically and emotionally exhausting. I second the PPs about seeing a paediatric gastroenterologist. They deal with stuff all the time and can be very useful in getting medications rights as well as looking at underlying causes.

Have you thought about doing a trial of eliminating dairy and soy from your diet? Reflux can often be caused be food intolerance. A simple elimination from your diet over two weeks can make a world of difference. Or it can make none at all...but something perhaps to try while waiting to see a doc.

FWIW, I would ditch any doctor who tells me to deal with it as they will grow out of it. Can hazard a guess they have never had a kid like that of their own!

What meds are you currently on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My DD just turned 1 and she had terrible reflux as a newborn. At 11 weeks she was diagnosed with cows milk protein intolerance and I cut out all dairy from my diet. I had a lot of breast feeding issues so she ended up weaning onto Neocate prescription formula at 13 weeks and it was like an instant transformation! She was off reflux meds within a month of weaning and had no more reflux. She also became a champion self-settler after being a horrible sleeper with reflux.

We've just challenged the intolerance and it looks like the tummy pain & reflux are creeping back in so she's back to a dairy-free diet for now.

I think it's worth investigating possible causes of the reflux rather than trying to deal with reflux in isolation. DD was on Zantac and then losec with no effect at all.

Good luck, it's a really tough road.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: can reflux babies self settle ?

Quote Originally Posted by wigglemum View Post
    Hi HLE, sounds like you ate doing a wonderful job with bubs. My ds is a severe refluxer and at 27 months he's no better. We have changed meds a few times to try to get it right. So it really bugs me when 'they' say they'll grow out of it. Can I suggest you try and get into see a paediatric gastroenterologist. It made a difference for us.

All 3 of my kids had reflux and all wanted to be fed to sleep. Even my you vest who is the worst. Do what you want to do now, and worry about down the track later, as it's a long road with a refluxer - and exhausting. Best wishes
    thank you very much. i will be talking to my GP for a referral for a gastroenterologist then , hope that could turn things around. Today i just did feeding to sleep, much more comfortable and less stressful. Well, after this thread i am feeling much more confident about what i am doing. Thank you everyone!~

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Nettle View Post
    HLE it is such a tough thing and you are doing so well. This stuff is physically and emotionally exhausting. I second the PPs about seeing a paediatric gastroenterologist. They deal with stuff all the time and can be very useful in getting medications rights as well as looking at underlying causes.

Have you thought about doing a trial of eliminating dairy and soy from your diet? Reflux can often be caused be food intolerance. A simple elimination from your diet over two weeks can make a world of difference. Or it can make none at all...but something perhaps to try while waiting to see a doc.

FWIW, I would ditch any doctor who tells me to deal with it as they will grow out of it. Can hazard a guess they have never had a kid like that of their own!

What meds are you currently on?
    Thank you very much, i will be investigating on peadiatric gastroenterologist soon. as to eliminating dairy from my diet, i did and tried eliminating dairy for more than one month, nothing changed. Tried eliminating fish, egg, tomato.... went to so many doctors, all have different saying regarding his sleep issues. Another thing which makes my blood boil is every time when i mention my baby is not gaining enough and thin, i would been told because i am of small built and slim, may be it is just genetic. May be or may be not, please investigate first!!! The pead i've seen last time was a bit better, he asked us to come back a month later and if the weight gain was not ideal again, will be looking into further like his diet etc. Bub was gaining a relatively normal weight untill one month ago when we found out he gained only 200g over a month. Cant wait to see the pead again.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    My DD just turned 1 and she had terrible reflux as a newborn. At 11 weeks she was diagnosed with cows milk protein intolerance and I cut out all dairy from my diet. I had a lot of breast feeding issues so she ended up weaning onto Neocate prescription formula at 13 weeks and it was like an instant transformation! She was off reflux meds within a month of weaning and had no more reflux. She also became a champion self-settler after being a horrible sleeper with reflux.

We've just challenged the intolerance and it looks like the tummy pain & reflux are creeping back in so she's back to a dairy-free diet for now.

I think it's worth investigating possible causes of the reflux rather than trying to deal with reflux in isolation. DD was on Zantac and then losec with no effect at all.

Good luck, it's a really tough road.
    Hi Cue, thank you very much! i did try eliminating dairy and other food, nothing changed. will be investigating more hopefully. wish everything will get better soon ~

Thanks
    Reviews

Good luck. Have a look at the reflux website too. There is loads of information and it's worth joining for the members only section too. Sadly there is a lot of us with kids with reflux.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

HLE  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh HLE, I really feel for you. I can say from first hand experience too that dealing with medical professionals as they call themselves, can sometimes be an absolutely horrendously frustrating experience! They really just don't look at the bigger picture. It's not like your kid is this content little bubble who eats well, sleeps well and just happens to be a slow gainer. There are clearly other issues going on and to be told your kid is just naturally lean is ridiculous. Ugh!! It's a pity you're not up my way or there are a few people I could recommend who will listen.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Nettle View Post
    Oh HLE, I really feel for you. I can say from first hand experience too that dealing with medical professionals as they call themselves, can sometimes be an absolutely horrendously frustrating experience! They really just don't look at the bigger picture. It's not like your kid is this content little bubble who eats well, sleeps well and just happens to be a slow gainer. There are clearly other issues going on and to be told your kid is just naturally lean is ridiculous. Ugh!! It's a pity you're not up my way or there are a few people I could recommend who will listen.
    Hi Nettle, thank you very much! he is on losec now and we will be asking to add up the dosage to see what happens next. I do hate some of the drs not knowing what we've being through and dont even ask about the previous history, just try to fob us off. He was born 4kg at birth and was such a chubby little baby. He dropped percentiles so quickly which worries us, but not some of the drs, because i know my baby from birth but not them !!!! Thank you very much, i think the pead we've seen last time were much better and we will see next time, if he turns out to be not so reliable, we will seeking someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews

All I can say is to just keep trying! I know it can be so frustrating and disheartening but when you find a person who not only listens but gives you a solid action plan, the pay off in terms of bub is worth every bit!

Out of curiosity, are you on the crushed tablets of Losec or the suspension done by chemist? Only reason I ask was because my munchkin was on the max dose in suspension form but it wasn't controlling the acid very well at all. The gastro paed said that the reliability of the suspension is not good because of how it is done and the bottle will often stop working before its empty. It also depends on when it was made up etc. He put us on Nexium which comes in sachet granules and was brilliant. Tastes a load better than Losec too. The downside is because he was also max dose we have been dishing $80 per month on it. Anyway, I'm rambling. Just something if you also happen to be on suspension.