+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default can reflux babies self settle ?

HLE, is your bub medicated? It sounds like you need to be looking into something to help. I know where you are coming from. Bub slept on me during the day for six months. Sometimes it would take 40 minutes of rocking furiously to get him to have a 20 minute nap. At night we would feed to sleep and lay him down really carefully. Usually for him to wake anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours later all night long. That was at its worst though.

As far as day care goes, they generally somehow learn to adapt with their new environment and day care staff will do what it takes to get your kid to sleep e.g. Rock/pat/cuddle etc. But I honestly wouldn't be considering putting them in care until you've got the pain sorted. It's hard enough to cope with life if everything hurts, let alone new people and routines etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

For me it was the wind. The fluid churning up and down her oesophagus kept creating wind that caused her so much pain. Medication couldn't help with that.

Before I got the reflux diagnosis I noticed DD always settled well after a day shopping. It was only after the diagnosis I realised that's because she had been upright all day. Try keeping bubs as upright as possible during the day.

I used to rock DD to sleep, but she would always wake back up crying with wind about 5 times up until 9.30. I soooo don't miss those days. Just know it DOES end, and your bubba will self settle one day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

It sounds like the medication isn't working very well. My ds screamed nonstop for 10 weeks before we could get to see a paed and get his reflux meds right. As soon as we got it under control he slept so much better.
    The first thing we were told to transition him to sleeping easier was to stop rocking. It pushes the acid back up and makes it take longer. Our paed suggested just holding upright over a shoulder and walking slowly. also elevating his mattress made him more comfortable lying down. We co slept at night too.
    Really all the matters is that you do whatever you are comfortable with. As a previous poster said, you won't find a teenager being rocked to sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: can reflux babies self settle ?

Thank you , i think it is the reflux that keeping him unsettled , because i can feel it when he is having reflux episodes, most of which are silent. May be medication dosage needs to be added up, we will going back to the pead's in a few weeks hopefully we will sort it out.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    DD2 and DD4 had/have reflux and are the complete opposite they refuse to be patted or nursed to sleep, just put them down awake and they go off on there own.. Is it definitely reflux that is keeping bub unsettled? I know with DD2 losec didn't suit her so we put her on Zantac and with DD4 she cant take Zantac and has the liquid version of losec. She still vomits a lot but not so much in pain now..
    My dd had severe reflux and always self settled ... I never did cc with her she just preferred her own space (she is nearly 3 and still has reflux and is still a fabulous sleeper, she loves her bed).

So op in response to your question yes it is possible but every child is different. BUT having said that she always slept on her side from her first sleep in delivery suite because of her spewing and I always had her bassinette/cot raised so she was sleeping on an angle.

At 9mo he is going to be angry and therefore cry if you try to put him to bed by himself (he has never done it before) ...I guess you just need to weigh up how much you need that space ...remember babies do deserve non exhausted mums too

Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

HLE  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I could have written your post word for word. My ds3 is almost 9 months too. Doesn't sleep, wakes up every two hours to be fed back to sleep, will only ever sleep with boob. We did Zantac and he's now on losec but I don't think it's working. he's been on it 6 weeks now and still won't sleep all day and is awake every 2 hours (or less) at night.

Can I ask is your bub interested in solids? My lil man will not take any! He occasionally tries a mouth full. He also gags quite badly on anything with texture or bits of food. So different to my older two.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Nettle View Post
    HLE, is your bub medicated? It sounds like you need to be looking into something to help. I know where you are coming from. Bub slept on me during the day for six months. Sometimes it would take 40 minutes of rocking furiously to get him to have a 20 minute nap. At night we would feed to sleep and lay him down really carefully. Usually for him to wake anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours later all night long. That was at its worst though.

As far as day care goes, they generally somehow learn to adapt with their new environment and day care staff will do what it takes to get your kid to sleep e.g. Rock/pat/cuddle etc. But I honestly wouldn't be considering putting them in care until you've got the pain sorted. It's hard enough to cope with life if everything hurts, let alone new people and routines etc.

yes, he is medicated, may be the dosage needs to be added up so we will going back to the pead's soon. now i have fears when his sleep time approaches, it almost takes an hour for him to fall asleep, he sleeps in my arms during the day and wakes up frequently but i manage to rock him back to sleep so that he can sleep longer. Most of the nights, i sleep in an upright position with lots of pillows and with him in my arms. Hopefully he will get better with the right dosage.

His reflux is the main issue keeping me back from going back to study. It will be hard for him and me as well as i will not be functioning well in this situation. I just hope that by the time i start, he will get better ??? not sure, if not i would have to defer my offer as i did this july.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. it is hard going through all of this. but as you and PP said, he will get better and i will hope for the best .

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    For me it was the wind. The fluid churning up and down her oesophagus kept creating wind that caused her so much pain. Medication couldn't help with that.

Before I got the reflux diagnosis I noticed DD always settled well after a day shopping. It was only after the diagnosis I realised that's because she had been upright all day. Try keeping bubs as upright as possible during the day.

I used to rock DD to sleep, but she would always wake back up crying with wind about 5 times up until 9.30. I soooo don't miss those days. Just know it DOES end, and your bubba will self settle one day.
    thank you, he does get a lot of wind, i use wind drops for that sometimes which seems to settle him a bit. But i think the main problem still is the reflux as it happens so frequently. i wish these days could pass quickly and wish he could get better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by One of THOSE mums! View Post
    It sounds like the medication isn't working very well. My ds screamed nonstop for 10 weeks before we could get to see a paed and get his reflux meds right. As soon as we got it under control he slept so much better.
    The first thing we were told to transition him to sleeping easier was to stop rocking. It pushes the acid back up and makes it take longer. Our paed suggested just holding upright over a shoulder and walking slowly. also elevating his mattress made him more comfortable lying down. We co slept at night too.
    Really all the matters is that you do whatever you are comfortable with. As a previous poster said, you won't find a teenager being rocked to sleep!
    thank you, i also think the dosage is not right, we will be going back to pead's soon and will sort it out. I also have the feeling that rocking makes him worse, but i dont know what else i can do. Of course i can feed him to sleep but seems it gives him too much wind and i cant put him down for quite a while. Besides as i mentioned earlier, i dont want him to get used to the boob as it may make things hard to transition. I really dont know. May be i should focus on the present, do the feeding to sleep which i am most comfortable with. Really wish he could get better soon .

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mmy2b View Post
    I could have written your post word for word. My ds3 is almost 9 months too. Doesn't sleep, wakes up every two hours to be fed back to sleep, will only ever sleep with boob. We did Zantac and he's now on losec but I don't think it's working. he's been on it 6 weeks now and still won't sleep all day and is awake every 2 hours (or less) at night.

Can I ask is your bub interested in solids? My lil man will not take any! He occasionally tries a mouth full. He also gags quite badly on anything with texture or bits of food. So different to my older two.
    I also think his medication is not working. when i ask about increasing the dosage, all i get is by this time he will start to grow out of it and no need for dosing up. Will be having a serious talk about it with the pead soon. He is not interested in solids as well, every time the spoon approaches, he waves his arms which means he doesn't want it. Every time he takes a spoon, me and my husband clap our hands, sing and even dance to show him our praise and excitement. It works sometimes as he opens his mouth for more and even claps his hands after finishing. But still not taking more. And i found he cant digest solid foods very well as they will come out as they come in IYKWIM. He is my first bub and i have no clue about it ..