+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default can reflux babies self settle ?

Bub have reflux and been on losec. It is so hard to get him sleep. I usually rock him or feed him to sleep. Feeding to sleep seemed easier, though not always works, but i think bub gets more air from sucking and it keeps him waking up afterwards. As to rocking to sleep, i usually walk with him in my arms and it takes ages for him to fall asleep and i get so tired. I tried cuddling to sleep, but he screamed and screamed and my gut was telling me he was not going to sleep like this. I went to sleep school few months ago, they taught me to put him awake in the cot and pat him to sleep. We tried once and he was crying hysterically and getting more reflux, I picked him up only minutes after and told them I was not comfortable with that, I'd rather rock him to sleep in my arms. So I stayed at the sleep school for one day only and came back. Now i am at a loss and so tired of rocking him four times a day for his naps and night sleep. He wakes up almost two hourly at night, but during night i just feed him, so tired to get up and rock. Besides, i am feeling that rocking might get him more upset because of the movement??? I am not sure. So those with reflux babies, how do you get your baby to sleep ? Are they ever going to self-settle? Any advice please? he is 9 month old at the moment .

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using BubHub
    Last edited by HLE; 26-08-2012 at 17:28.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: can reflux babies self settle ?

bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Every baby is different so it's hard to say if your bubba will self settle in the near future.

But I can assure you this, no teenager (even one with reflux) is going to want to be patted to sleep everynight

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OM For This Useful Post:

HLE  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

In my opinion.... No. Not till the reflux improves, which usually happens with solids.

I tried and got nowhere fast.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

HLE  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I wouldn't attempt to teach self settling until you get the reflux under control. Leaving then to cry when they are in pain only teaches them you aren't there when they hurt and forms negative associates with cot and sleep time. Get the pain sorted and then look at settling.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nettle For This Useful Post:

HLE  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

I feel for you. My ds was the same and it wasn't until much after he grew out of the reflux that he started sleeping better.

My advice is do what works for you. Your baby is not someone else's so what they did may or may not work for you. Follow your instincts.

For me I did have to rock him for a long time and then I moved on to feeding to sleep and cosleeping because I was so exhausted and needed a way for us to both get sleep. He is 2 and 9 months now and does go to sleep himself in his own bed, and has for awhile now. It won't last forever

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

HLE  (26-08-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In a word NO.

Reflux bubs have trouble self settling because they feel like there chest is on fire, same as an adult with heart burn its hurts and if not very comforting so that needs to be controled before the sleep is x

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (26-08-2012),HLE  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

DS is 12.5 weeks old and has been on Zantac for almost 8 weeks. He self settles except for once in a blue moon though DS's reflux doesn't sound as severe as your bub's. Fx for you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GrownupsCallMeK For This Useful Post:

HLE  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

thank you. i found feeding to sleep is easier and less stressful, but i want to study in the near future and planning to put him in the daycare in that case, but not sure if he gets used to the boob, how is he going to sleep in the daycare without it. i cosleep with him which makes things a bit better. Hope he can get better soon.

Last edited by HLE; 26-08-2012 at 18:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

DD2 and DD4 had/have reflux and are the complete opposite they refuse to be patted or nursed to sleep, just put them down awake and they go off on there own.. Is it definitely reflux that is keeping bub unsettled? I know with DD2 losec didn't suit her so we put her on Zantac and with DD4 she cant take Zantac and has the liquid version of losec. She still vomits a lot but not so much in pain now..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

HLE  (26-08-2012)