+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2yr old constipated I need help!!!

My ds is 2 and was recently diagnosed with chronic constipation leading to fecal incontinence the dr prescribed a microlax enama to help get things going and he also prescribed lactulose twice a day for a week.
    We follow this and the incontinence stopped and he did have 2 days of soft poos but now he is not pooing on purpose cause he seems scared due to remembering how it hurt when he was constipated. He has done a few hard little pebbles but nothing regular. I am so worried it will get worse like right back at the start when he became incontinent. I can give him another microlax enema to make him poo but then he will get reliant on me making him poo and will never do it on his own
    Sorry for the long post but I am at my wits end someone anyone got any ideas to get my son to poo???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We have used parachoc which tastes like chocolate and is glycerine (I think), similar to lactulose.
    Our doc said to use it daily for a couple of weeks if we wanted, so ds would be regular and not develop a fear of pooing.

Maybe worth a try.

I would be hesitant using micro lax regularly, or for anything but last resort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    when my dd was 2 she had chronic constipation as well.. after trying everything literally the peadetrician suggested to try some powder from the chemist called osmolax. it's in a tub and i mainly see it at terry white chemists. it's powder form for adults and children, and you put a scoop or so (can't remember the measurement) into their milk roughly every 2nd day, (that's what worked for me to keep her going regular), and it really did work. you can put it in hot/warm/cold milk, juice, water or even tea. also i found that after having blood tests, she wasn't lactose intolorent but what they call lactose sensative, she can have dairy, not too much of it, (cheese etc) but no cows milk. he told me to put her onto Soy Milky to drink as milk and it's been such an improvement.

Thanks
    Reviews

The poor little thing! I have been through this with my DD and the things that helped a lot food wise were pears and she loved pear juice - which had her going in about half an hour after drinking it and I'm sure If you are waiting around for 2 days to see poo it's such a relief when it happens.

I too bought parachoc from the chemist but never used it because it has paraffin oil in it and can get into their lungs if they lay down before two hours after taking it. It scared me too much so I went with food. I found changing the way she ate completely helped her. Of course everyone is different but I recommend the pear juice all the way! They are in cans in the tinned juice area at Coles or woolworths. She also ate black licorice when it was really bad which helped too! and the other thing I did was the natural prune juice which she despised but I froze it into ice cubes and put it in the pear juice and she didn't know any better.

She developed a fear of going as well but after bombing her out with pears/prunes and licorice, she had no choice cause it was coming. Eventually she reprogrammed her brain to realize it didn't hurt anymore.

I really hope you find something that works for you! I know how heart breaking it is to see your little one in pain!!

All the best xxx

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DD has just been toilet trained and in the first week developed a fear of pooing on the toilet. I went to the doc and got some lactulose and coloxyl drops, I used them for two days and when I would put her on the loo to poo I hugged her and reasssured her that it wasn't going to hurt her. I just rubber her back and hugged her and spoke calmly in her ear. Then when she did poo I made a big deal of it, high fived her and said over and over see bubby that didn't hurt its ok to poo on the toilet.

So sorry your DS is going through this, it was heartbreaking to see DD in pain holding in her poo. OP I hope this gets sorted out for both of you very soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My 2yo also suffers, we buy the pear juice tins and I freeze it in ice cube trays and pop one cube a day in his water. If I dont freeze it goes off as it ferments quite quickly. i am going to try this now with prune juice thanks PP.
    Lots of fibre, fruit, veggies and lots of water. We use lsa (can sneak into everything!)wheatgerm. I put this on top of cakes, muffins, mash and in casseroles. We also eat a lot of chia seeds too. I also buy the multigrain weetbix and we alternate weetbix and porridge for breaky. I have found cheese, excess milk & white bread make it worse.
    What about the glycerine suppositories? Also there is a cream you can get and rub on their bottom that has like an anaesthetic affect, I used to rub this on before and after.
    Hope this helps..its awful for them. Pm me if you want any more help x

Thanks
    Reviews
    If this has turned into a more psychological problem then you may require more than a short term solution. Im actually quite surprised that your child being so impacted with signs of incontinence and being told that it is chronic constipation that they were not put on a more long term plan? By its very nature chronic constipation is severe and often long lasting requiring a long term solution. I would suggest researching into the constipation and the constipation cycle so that you know what to look out for. Also check out the Bristol Stool chart as it will help you recognise where you are in the cycle.

You should talk to your GP about this issue and work out a plan from there.

Diet alone may work, but if he is deliberately holding it in then you may need to resort to stool softeners and the like. Parachoc is just one and it works by coating the poo in oil and making it impossible to hold onto. Its a long term solution in that you need to keep it going to a while in order to see results and maintain them. This one didnt work for us and as PP mentioned has lots of conditions on its use. There are others on the market that may help also, but you should talk to your GP and Chemist to find one that is safe long term and will do what you need it too. It could only take weeks to move past the pain association but it has been known to take much longer.

I would be wary of using glycerol suppositories as a longer term solution as someone else suggested as you may find they have the opposite effect to helping your problem by making your child more aware of their bottom and traumatising them further and making them hold on more, particularly if he is at an age where he is aware of what is happening. They do work but we found at around this age, although they helped with the clearing issue, they didnt help with the mental side.

Be careful with diet that if you up the fibre intake you also up the water intake as too much fibre will have the opposite effect to what you desire.

We have used diet, Lactulose, Coloxyl, Parachoc and Movicol over three years, all with various degrees of success. All of these can be used long term without causing dependency. They all have their pros and cons and you should talk to your GP to see what will suit your sons needs most. I wouldnt recommend taking on toileting refusal with constipation leading to incontinence on your own though.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Maia; 26-08-2012 at 12:52.

Thanks
    Reviews

I personally would be consulting with a paediatrician for a long term plan. We are under the care of a paed for this issue. You could also consult a dietician.
    Parachoc is what we are using and our paed is monitoring this. We also maintain a diary which we obtained from the paed to monitor ongoing. The fibre, liquids combined with the parachoc is working & the parachoc is definately going to be weaned at some stage.
    I agree with PP, suppositories are not a good long term option but are better in the short term to clear as I know my tot gets severely agitated if not cleared.
    Also consult with your pharmacist regarding the anaesthetic type cream as it will help the pain in the short term.
    Let us know how you get on