+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never been able to bath my kids every day, dries them out too much.

I use Advantan sometimes, it is very good, but it is very strong and should only be used for a week at a time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

lilrussell  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Eczema and Products

My DD has been using advantan to manage her eczema for close to 4 years. We rarely have to use it now, but it works quickly when we do.
    We moisturise regularly with plain sorbolene. I think the daily baths would be recommended to make sure there are no traces of urine irritating the skin since the eczema is in the nappy area. My DD has short showers or bath with alpha keri oil and cleanser every couple of days. We've also been recently told to try bleach baths.
    Good luck- hope it learns quickly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

lilrussell  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Eczema and Products

My DS goes off to day care with his cloth nappies and flannel wipes. If you took some flannels along with a wet bag or even just a plastic bag and asked daycare to use them I am sure they wouldn't mind.
    Huggies are full of chemicals, I wouldn't use then.

Me & DH +
    DS 2
    DD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiedough For This Useful Post:

lilrussell  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I use zinc and caster oil on nappy rash and mild eczema on my DD. It clears up nappy rash really quickly and keeps her eczema under control. The eczema all but disappears until she has a bath and it's irritated again. It seems to help with itching, we apply it a few times throughout the day. It's cheap compared to other eczema specific creams.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I've never been able to bath my kids every day, dries them out too much.

I use Advantan sometimes, it is very good, but it is very strong and should only be used for a week at a time.
    Thanks CMF. The dermatologist said to use it once every night until it clears up so whether that takes a couple of days or weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    My DS goes off to day care with his cloth nappies and flannel wipes. If you took some flannels along with a wet bag or even just a plastic bag and asked daycare to use them I am sure they wouldn't mind.
    Huggies are full of chemicals, I wouldn't use then.

Me & DH +
    DS 2
    DD
    Thats a great idea thanks Cookiedough I'll try some flannel wipes. I've always used disposable nappies and want to try to toilet train soon but my DS isn't that interested yet he's 20 months old. Should I change him to cloth nappies until he is toilet trained?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    I use zinc and caster oil on nappy rash and mild eczema on my DD. It clears up nappy rash really quickly and keeps her eczema under control. The eczema all but disappears until she has a bath and it's irritated again. It seems to help with itching, we apply it a few times throughout the day. It's cheap compared to other eczema specific creams.
    Thanks Stiflers Mom. Do you make the zinc and castor oil paste yourself or get it from a chemist? I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it where I live from the chemists, I'm going to make some calls tomorrow to find out.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's at most chemists, in the nappy cream area. Some chemists make their own version. Something like this one.

http://shop.priceline.com.au/mother-...-cream?p=38083

My DD only has a small patch inside each elbow and it really helps.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, my DS suffers with eczema all over his body. His main areas though are in his elbows, under arms and behind his legs but recently had a bad outbreak and his whole body was sore and itchy and irritated. I was prescribed the ointment from my doc but everyone I spoke to (including other eczema sufferers) told me to try and avoid the steroid ointments because everytime you use them they break down their little skin. So I tried a heap of different natural creams etc and eventually I found that bathing him in the QV flare up bath oil stops the water from causing him discomfort and also leaves him moisturized, then we used an amazing product on his skin called Grahams Naturals, it cleared his flare up so quickly and once all the pimples and rash dissapeard we switched to using paw paw ointment and sorbolene and (touch wood) his skin has been clear since then, and I am so glad I was able to get it sorted without using harsh chemicals on his skin.

Good luck OP eczema is a terrible thing to deal with in kiddies, so sad to see them in distress.

Oh and just wanted to add I have also taken DS off any cows milk products, switched to a natural tooth paste, switched to a sensitive washing piquid for his clothes and stopped using any chemicals in our house (I use Norwex products which are all natural and chemical free). I think that all helped alot as well.
    Last edited by Theophania; 26-08-2012 at 10:52.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

lilrussell  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    It's at most chemists, in the nappy cream area. Some chemists make their own version. Something like this one.

http://shop.priceline.com.au/mother-...-cream?p=38083

My DD only has a small patch inside each elbow and it really helps.
    Thanks Stiflers Mom, the dermatologist said to get it made as the ones in store will just rub off once the nappy is put on.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lilrussell For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (26-08-2012)