+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wont let my kids have anything until they are finished the first thing and if they dont they dont get anything. Also no snacks like an hour and a half before main meals. If they are hungry they can wait, they wont starve to death in the meanwhile

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What's your rules?

I wouldn't give something else I would also say if you were hungry you would finish xyz if your not hungry enough to finish that you can wait till 'lunch/dinner etc' after school it's always finish what's in your lunch box before you can have anything else. I don't like wasted food.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would tell her to if she's hungry to finish her last snack, and next time give a smaller portion if I could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DD is 7. If she doesn't want the rest of her snack, that's fine... but she's not getting anything else until the next meal time.

I think it's important for her to stop eating when she no longer wants any - I think too many people are taught to "eat everyone on the plate," because it's wasted money/food otherwise and that's bad... but by doing that, you're just encouraging children to lose touch with their body's hunger signals and setting them up for a poor relationship with food. If they're truly not hungry, then good... I don't want her eating beyond the point where her body has asked her to stop. I want her to eat for her hunger, not because she feels she has to. I've battled obesity enough myself, and don't want that for her.

I figure my way means that if she truly isn't hungry then she's not being forced to eat more than she should... but I'm also not further wasting food because she's simply had a change of heart.

I repack most foods if I can anyway... so she may only eat half an apple... that's fine, I'll just save the rest for later, or feed it to my parrots or something instead.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (25-08-2012)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What's your rules?

If they don't eat their snack after wanting it then they have to wait till their next meal (lunch or dinner) if they don't eat all their dinner or throw it around badly they dont get dssurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The first time they ask for a snack they are told to have a drink of water and ask again in 10 minutes. Quite often people mistake thirst for hunger.

The second time they ask they are told they can have a piece of fruit or a veggie (carrot etc)

The third time they ask they can have a small snack so long as dinner is more than 1/2 hour away.

If they don't finish their snack, it's put aside for later on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, gotta eat it before you're allowed anything else.

I have a relative that wastes SO much food. Their kids don't have to finish anything. I have no idea how they're okay with putting that much down the insinkerator. Honestly the insinkerator sees like half a loaf of bread a day.