+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default A couple of issues I need advice on pls

ok so I have a 2 1/2 yr old son and a 16 yr old. My 2 yr old is a bit of a difficult one, he hates change of any kind, he just doesnt deal very well with it at all. Just as an example he has been going to daycare 3 days a week for one and a half years now, and he still carries on in the mornings, cries etc, and o ne of the carers have to come a nurse him.
    His father and I have just separated 2 months ago, which my 2 yr old actually seems to be handling it ok, as my ex and I are amicable, and both see him.
    But my issues that I really need to deal with is
    1. He still has a bottle before bed, he doesnt go to sleep having it, but wants it just before going to sleep.
    2. He is not toilet trained at all, he just doesnt seem to get the idea of it.
    3. He sleeps with me every night, when his father has him he sleeps with him.

So i am thinking i really have to just tackle one problem at a time. But I do know my ex will not follow through with anything I do, when he has him. He doesnt really care about any of the issues.

Is it really a issue that he still has a bottle at night?
    So any advice on how to handle any of these issues would be great thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

I don't actually see any of those things as a problem, well they aren't in this house but if its causing issues then its time to look at things 2.5 is still so teeny! If you want him toilet trained I would try the 3 day potty training, has always worked for us. Sounds like he doesn't like daycare? Does he need to be there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I guess it all comes down to what you are happy with as a parent but my two year old DS ticks all those boxes... He loves his milk before bed (whenever he's tired actually), and up until three weeks ago was still having a bottle overnight. He sleeps in our bed for every sleep and we haven't started to think about toilet training yet - I plan to try over summer though... In all honesty I'm not the slightest concerned about any of this, I just figure he'll get there in his own time... I hope that makes you feel somewhere better

Thanks
    Reviews
    thankyou so much for your replies, does make me much better.
    I guess it is just pressure from others that are making me think these things are a problem, as to be honest they dont really bother me at all. I was just worried that I was not doing what is best for him. So I am thinking i will just leave these issues to resolve them later on.

He actually does like daycare, he always has a great day, and never really wants to come home when I pick him up, it just is the spearation from me I think is why he carries on. And yep he does have to be there, I need to work. Plus it is a fantastic day care center.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS carries on a bit at drop off to daycare too (and always happy at end of day!!) Some things I've found to help are getting him to open and close the doors as we go in. We also stop in the foyer and look at some toys and books they have out so we go in nice and slowly. it doesn't work everyday but sometimes.

With the bottle - my DH switched him to sippy cups while I was in hospital after having DD, I was not happy at the time!! Haha but DS didn't bat an eyelid at the change. I had it in my mind that it would be a big change for him but it wasn't at all. He still gets his milk and is happy.

Work on these things when you are ready but don't be afraid to try, it's always ok to have a go even if it doesn't work out right away