+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Exclamation Giving babies antiboitics linked to obesity

Giving babies antibiotics before the age of six months could cause them to be chubby children, according to new research.
    The study, published in the International Journal of Obesity , is the first to analyse the relationship between antibiotic use and body mass starting in infancy.
    "We typically consider obesity an epidemic grounded in unhealthy diet and exercise, yet increasingly studies suggest it's more complicated," says co-author Dr Leonardo Trasande of the New York University School of Medicine .
    "Microbes in our intestines may play critical roles in how we absorb calories, and exposure to antibiotics, especially early in life, may kill off healthy bacteria that influence how we absorb nutrients into our bodies, and would otherwise keep us lean."
    Preliminary studies have linked changes in the trillions of microbial cells in our bodies to obesity, inflammatory bowel disease, asthma and other conditions. However, direct causal proof has not yet been found.
    The researchers evaluated the use of antibiotics among 11,532 children born in Britain's Avon region in 1991 and 1992 who are participating in a long-term study on their health and development.
    They examined the association between body mass in the first seven years of life and the exposure to antibiotics in the first two years of life.
    They found that children treated with antibiotics in the first five months of their life weighed more for their height than those who were not exposed.
    The difference was small between the ages of 10 to 20 months, but by 38 months of age, children exposed to antibiotics had a 22 percent greater likelihood of being overweight.
    Timing appeared to matter - children who received antibiotics from the ages of six to 14 months did not have a significantly higher body mass later in childhood, the study showed.
    And although children exposed to antibiotics at 15 to 23 months had slightly higher body mass indices by age seven, there was no significant increase in their likelihood of being overweight or obese.
    The study adds to a growing body of research warning of the potential dangers of antibiotics, especially for children.
    "For many years now, farmers have known that antibiotics are great at producing heavier cows for market," says co-author Professor Jan Blustein, also of New York University.
    "While we need more research to confirm our findings, this carefully conducted study suggests that antibiotics influence weight gain in humans, and especially children too."

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...22/3573468.htm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

WhiteTulips  (25-08-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh cause death from sepsis is so much better than them growing up fat

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (25-08-2012),Gandalf  (24-08-2012),MrsOhara  (24-08-2012),wigglemum  (25-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yay!! Now I know how to get my 22 month old to put on weight, he will be averaged weight soon! Yay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OM For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (24-08-2012),Nowhere  (24-08-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    True, I think its a case of only use them when needed, I know DD is never o antibiotics unless prooven bacterial infection, well we start them straight away the IV ones while waiting on cultures but we dont put her on ABs unless we have to like definate signs of infection.

I know some Gps put kids on Ab for all sorts and that is silly but with a bacterial infection it will not get better with out them. So to me being fat is better than being dead

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Giving babies antiboitics linked to obesity

Every situation will be different. It's good to have the info. Thanks op

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    direct causal proof has not yet been found.
    Nuff said

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fox For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (25-08-2012),Gandalf  (24-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    haha so my DD2 that had several lots of Ab's before 6months is going to be obese shame it hasn't worked and she's still not on the charts at 22months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutu & Lulu View Post
    haha so my DD2 that had several lots of Ab's before 6months is going to be obese shame it hasn't worked and she's still not on the charts at 22months

LOL dont pin your hopes on it making her grow my 6 year old has had more IV antibiotics than hot dinners and she is only 16 kilos lol she and that is thanks to IV food she was not even 7 kilos at 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    LOL dont pin your hopes on it making her grow my 6 year old has had more IV antibiotics than hot dinners and she is only 16 kilos lol she and that is thanks to IV food she was not even 7 kilos at 2
    Lol there is always something floating around but in all honesty i don't think that they give AB's out willy nilly especially under 6 months. i do know that sometimes Dr's give them out easily when they may not be warranted but i think under 12months they definately wouldn't