+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default SN dental?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on dental care for kids with SN?

In the past DS1 needed to sit on a wait list to be put under a local anesthetic in order to get any dental work done, he's anxiety among other issues prevent any sort of dental work or checks being done without him being knocked out and I refuse to have him strapped down to one of those boards

That was in our old area, we've since moved and as far as I can see the Illawarra area defines special needs dental as homeless, drug addicted or adult mental health issues.

He really needs to see a dentist, can anyone help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if this would work for your DS, but have you thought about finding an understanding enlist and gradually introducing him to the idea? A friend takes her child to a dentist, it took about 4 months of weekly drop ins before they could look in his mouth, but now he's great and lets them do anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We tried that about a year ago, he would scream, kick and lash out at the sight of a dentist office let alone get inside the door, if we did manage to get him in there he'd freak out to the point where he'd vomit and go weak in the knees.

Having actual 'normal' dental work is not possible for him, he need sedation he also needs work done now, i just dont know where I can even start looking to find it. There's nothing on google or the local area health/dental service website. I can ask his teacher on monday if she knows where the other IO kids go if theres a service for them, but I hate not having a game plan iykwim

Thanks
    Reviews

Default SN dental?

I think there is a public dentist in either Port Kembla or Bulli hospital? Maybe that could be your first port of call

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FindMyLunch For This Useful Post:

pinkplease3  (24-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: SN dental?

Quote Originally Posted by FindMyLunch View Post
    I think there is a public dentist in either Port Kembla or Bulli hospital? Maybe that could be your first port of call
    Thanks, I'll give them and the emergency dental line a call on Monday, see what they have to say. I don't know why there isn't an obvious SN dental service! With so many kids and adults with SN you'd think it would be right along side the adult emergency dental line number
    Last edited by pinkplease3; 24-08-2012 at 19:28.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default SN dental?

My ds sees special needs dentist as he would need sedation/an aesthetic if he needs work done (he does have decay that is being watched at this stage). Our paed actually referred us to this dentist. All children's hospitals have dentists for lil ones with special needs (well in Vic anyway) so for us we are seen thru monashs clinic but royal children's has a clinic too. Not sure how close you would be in nsw to a kids hospy, but I would definitely ring around the big public ones in your area. Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    We get our girls dental work done through the Childrens hospital (Melb)... I wish you luck in having his teeth fixed, poor little guy.