+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Milk intolerance/allergy? Advice please

My DD is 6 weeks old, she has been formula fed since she was 2 weeks starting on Karicare, it was to heavy for her stomach making her get a lot of wind and power chucking. So I changed her at 4 weeks to the Aldi brand Mamia as I've never heard anything bad about it and it is apparently the Heinz Nurture. I found this great for the first week it settled her down and was a lot lighter on her and she was having more frequent bowel movements, but now she has been unsettled for the past 6 days not sleeping 5-6 hours at night like she used to, not finishing her bottle, vomitting after each feed and just not her happy self. The doctor said she had colic, I've changed bottles from Avent to Tommee Tippe, I've noticed a difference and it has sorted out the gassiness but she is still extremely irritable, crying during feeds, pulling away from the bottle and vomitting most of her bottle up.
    I have an intolerance to milk and some other dairy products like cream, soft cheeses and yoghurt and drink soy milk and avoid the other products, I drank soy milk all through my pregnancy, is it possible she also has an intolerance or allergy to milk?

Should I change to a soy or lactose free formula?
    I have brought this up with a doctor and MCHN and they say it's possible but offer no advice or sugestions.
    Has anyone had similar with their child or have any suggestions or advice?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd go back and speak to your DR or CHN and mention you are contemplating switching formulas and see what they say.

Thanks
    Reviews

You've got nothing to lose by switching and trying something different. Perhaps book in with your paediatrician, and in the mean time try the soy/lactose free stuff. Have you considered reflux?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont know a lot about how babies behave with an intolerance but it does sound very similar to reflux. It is around the age that it starts to get bad. Could you try some remedies for that first as if it is that, any type of formula would cause it. There are a few products to try, your doctor can help with that. If that's ruled out then go the formula route. It's not really good enough if bub is throwing up every feed, doc needs to help more. Poor little poppet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Reflux is a classic sign of underlying intolerance or allergy. Seeing you have the history then it would definitely be worth looking into especially if that means avoiding reflux meds. Like the PPs have said, get yourself a good paed and have a discussion about it.

We good success with neocate which is free from dairy and soy. Soy can often causal problems with bubs who have milk problems because the proteins are similar. Not a hard and fast rule but something to keep in mind.

Thanks
    Reviews

Sounds like reflux to me!

Have you considered a HA (hypoallergenic) formula? The nestle NAN HA Gold has recently been given some bad press but I know Karicare do one, maybe give that a go.

No matter what you swap to, if bubs is still screaming during and after feeds go to the GP to get meds and if they won't prescribe it, get a paed referral. They will be more easily able to work out what the issue is, whether it be reflux, an allergy or something else.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Our DS has similar symptoms. We went to a dietician and he is on probiotics and Iberogast which seems to be helping for now. We wanted to try this before going down the medication route... Our DS doesn't have as severe symptoms as other bubs though.

ETA: you could try goat formula if you don't see improvement...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    what about a goats milk formula? with my ds i had tried about 6 different formula's before i found one that suited him... I find the novalac range very good.. they sell them at chemists and generally the pharmacist can give you some information on it.