+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Big Brother

Hi I would just like other mothers or fathers opinion's on Big Brother. I have a 6yr old step daughter who loves to watch it but I'm not sure its suitable for her age?
    What do you think? Should I ban her from watching it when I know she is going to watch it at her mum's place anyway?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Big Brother

Your house. Your rules. There's no way in hell I would have adjusted the rules in my house to "suit" my step child's mothers rules!
    My 8yr old would love to watch it but he's not going too. Ever!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

AppleIsleSMum  (24-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Big Brother

No you shouldn't let her watch it just because she's allowed at her mum's place.

My xh and I have VERY different rules are our different homes, dd and ds just have to cope with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, perhaps you could discuss it with her dad - let's face it. The above poster says 'your house your rules'. But is it not also her house?? I assume her dad lives there too?

I hated as a child when dad remarried my stepmother suddenly called all the shots around 'her ' house. She seemed to have no respect for the fact it was dads and our house before she came along, and made us feel like visitors.

I guess you should discuss this with her dad... If you refuse let him be the bad guy and tell her, as he's her parent.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (24-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Big Brother

I agree with pp ^^^ talk to her father or even sit her and her father down and talk about it so then she won't feel like your the wicked witch that's what I use to call my step mum lol good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Big Brother

Your step daughter by now would know that there are different rules @ each of her homes. So no I would not be letting her watch it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Big Brother

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Your house. Your rules. There's no way in hell I would have adjusted the rules in my house to "suit" my step child's mothers rules!
    My 8yr old would love to watch it but he's not going too. Ever!
    Agree!
    If we changed our rules to suit bio mums DSD would eat junk, watch too much tv, have no bed time, not brush her teeth! etc...
    I'm quite happy being the "evil" step mum if it means my DSD will be raised better

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Big Brother

If she watches it at her mums house you have nothing to achieve by banning it at your house. She's already exposed iykwim.
    All that will happen is you will feel 'right' like you have a power gained over her and she may begin to resent you.
    Yes I also have bad feelings towards step parents.

It wouldn't make sense to a six year old why she could do one thing here and not at her other home.
    Divorced parents is confusing enough, it's best to have consistency in the rules where possible.
    Believe me I spent many years feeling confused which causes negative behaviours...coz the basic rules were chalk and cheese between two houses.

But I havn't been on the step parent side so I know my opinion is not all that balanced
    Good luck it must be a tough job being step mum xxxxx

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Big Brother

Of course a six year old can understand that there's different rules at different houses. Six year olds go to school every day where the rules are different than at home.
    I don't think there's enough info in your OP. How often is she at your place? Do you have other children who would be exposed to her watching it? And what's her dad's take on the issue?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Big Brother

I don't see the problem with her watching it. The show is on at 7 pm so there is no swearing it is no different from watching home and away. If there is anything implied on the show she will not understand it anyway.