+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mining, resources and global warming.

So, there was a point made in the aliens thread about scientists not being able to difinitively prove global warming, as they have too many theories, etc.
    I was listening to the news yesterday and there was a mining bloke(now, please bear with me, I don't really pay attention to the world atm, I'm more into 2000 years ago).
    Anyway, he was saying that if it wasn't for the hike on mining tax, then mining business would be even bigger, etc etc.
    My thought is.. Why does it need to be? I mean, everyone's worried about global warming. They're all running around like headless chooks, desperately trying to stop it, but like.. Realistically, there's no point.
    I don't mean to come off apathetic or doom and gloomish or anything, but if you look at it this way:
    A) The world is currently over populated. Ridiculously over populated. Every day, the population grows, gets bigger, putting a much higher demand on our natural resources.
    B) We keep mining and using the resources of the Earth. They're not infinite, and I think I read somewhere that we're going to run out of natural resources before global warming becomes the biggest issue we need to worry about.

Why isn't anyone seemingly worried about this? Hmm. Just a thought I had, that I thought might make for a good hypothetical discussion.

Please keep it nice.

Thanks
    Reviews

As far as 'does the mining industry need to be bigger'bit, in a way yes.... Depending on the commodity of course but china is growing rapidly and if you see where it's projected to be by 2025 (population and housing) it is scarily huge, so there is a massive demand for materials etc

Thanks
    Reviews

Good topic btw! Also, the mining tax is only affecting coal, iron ore and one other thing I can't remember, do its not a blanket tax on mining.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm.
    So, yes, lol. We have bigger things to worry about that global warming. Like totally destroying the Earths natural resources to sustain the population..
    Wonder what happens when there's no resources left 'cause it's all been mined... Hmmm..

Thanks
    Reviews

Recycling on a grand scale! Literally recycling buildings, tearing them down and using the materials to build something else :s

Thanks
    Reviews
    I more mean for like.. The planet itself.
    There's always a reason for something being in existance, so does the Earth need all the minerals and ores and things in it to work properly? What happens to the Earth? I don't mean the people in it. oO

Thanks
    Reviews

Well, the earth is essentially a 'closed system' so nothing is ever lost, it merely changes 'state'. The earth doesn't need iron ore deposits in the ground to 'work' so to speak. Having said that by removing things from the ground you do get environmental impacts. Like drilling for oil or gas involves 'frac-ing' which can impact water quality. So really it's about which is the best 'state' for these resources to be in for the future health of the planet!

Thanks
    Reviews

One of the big things about global warming is that throughout earth history you get natural cycles of high and low carbon dioxide concentrations, which is a big contributor to global warming... So some say global warming is natural and normal. I think this is true however I think human activity has greatly enhanced everything

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have thought alot about this kind of stuff lately and it all just blardy comes down to greed. People wanting to fill their pockets regardless of the cost to the planet and environment. We are slowly destroying this planet and it is so very sad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unfortunately we need these resources to continue living the way we do. I guess until we all go and live in autonomous houses, grow our own food sources and rely completely on ourselves we can't really just sit and say "no it has to change, the big industries are all to blame".

At the end of the day they also provide a awful lot of employment opportunities too, I know it's what feeds our family.