+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How often do you check your newborn when they are sleeping?

I have a 3 week old. We have movement and sound monitor in his bassinet and he has all sleeps in his bassinet in our bedroom. His morning sleep 9am-11am is generally our time where he sleeps on my chest. The rest of the time he is wrapped and goes into the bassinet. He sleeps for about 3-4 hours during the day and 5-6 hours at night. I leave all the curtains open during the day and make lots of noise and chat to him a lot during feeds then at night it's quiet, no interaction and dark.

You can put movement monitors in some bassinets, as long as they have a hard base under their mattress. They are expensive but completely worth it if you can afford it :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I agree to keep her in a bassinet. A rocker would not be recommended by SIDS. I have a 2 storey house and have just borrowed a bassinet from a friend so I can have one upstairs and downstairs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How heavy is the bassinet? We used to bring ours downstairs every morning before DH went to work, then take it upstairs when we went to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a newborn baby for any length of time, particularly on another level of the house.

We used a moses basket for newborn naps and sleeps which I took with me wherever I was in the house.

Another option for you might be setting up a portacot downstairs.

As my babies became more alert they usually settled better closer to me so I wore them in baby carriers if I had things to do or I just rested with them. We co-sleep at night (firstly with them in the moses basket for newborn phase then bed-sharing at around 5-6 mths). They really are only babies for such a short time and you won't "spoil" them by having them near you all the time and cuddling them to sleep. Our DD happily started sleeping in her own bed at 18mths and now at 4 years old is a great sleeper, settling within minutes in her own bed.

I know this approach isn't for everyone, just thought I'd give you some other options, you don't need to do something you are uncomfortable with just because a child nurse has recommended it, just do whatever works for you and your baby.
    Last edited by DailyDiversion; 24-08-2012 at 20:26.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a double story and highly reccomend a monitor - I just have the sound one. As bubs gets older and eventually in their own room/cot, this will come in handy anyway.

if finances aren't too tight, you could buy a cheap bassinet or portacot for downstairs if preferred? Target has a bassinet for $100 brand new even.

Thanks
    Reviews

Our DD sleeps in a basinette next to our bad too and during the day she would be mostly on a rocker till she was 3 months then she decided she didn't like it anymore. Anyway we have a small house all on one floor and I didn't want the monitor. DH put his foot down and went and bough a breathing alarm system which came with a noise monitor. I was less than impressed. Oh boy was I wrong! It's a real peace of mind to have it and the best thing! He got the oricom, it comes with two bases you put one under the cot/basinette mattress and when bub goes down it detects breathing if bub stops breathing the alarm goes off, even having her next to me I wouldnt know if she stopped breathing, and the noise alarm is super for when I'm doing house work that way I hear her wake up and get to her before she cries. :-) I love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeish View Post
    this irritable increase is normal and won't be fixed by changing her sleeping environment. So, just make your decision based on what works for you.
    Yep! Also, young babies need between 8 and 12 breastfeeds in 24 hours, so feeding every 4 hours is probably not enough. Getting extra feeds in during the day, or cluster feeding in the cranky afternoon period over time helps baby to have longer sleeps at night.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS slept in a bouncer for all of his day naps from about 2 weeks old to about 5 months old when I started to put him in his cot for naps.

I was given advice that helping babies to adjust to a day time and night time routine is sometimes easier if they're sleeping in the day in a place where there's activity (ie. the lounge room). I don't know if that works for everyone's child, but it certainly did for mine and he loved the bouncer.