+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How often do you check your newborn when they are sleeping?

Hi all-
    We are first-time parents to a 4.5 week baby girl. She sleeps in a bassinet next to our bed overnight and I was using a bouncer for her day-time sleeps downstairs. Until last week she was a very settled baby who would feed-sleep-feed, breastfeeding approx every 4 hrs. Now that she is becoming more alert she tends to take longer to fall asleep after feeds and when in her bouncer she will just look at things in the room - in the afternoons/evenings she then doesn't fall asleep and becomes over-tired/cranky. The midwives/child health nurses have suggested that she has all her sleeps in the same environment (ie in her bassinet), but that would mean that she is upstairs all the time. There are obviously periods during the day that I won't be confined to our bedroom - doing laundry, eating, cooking, showering etc! She seems so little to be left completely alone upstairs. What do other people do in terms of checking that their little one is ok? We don't have any kind of monitor because she always used to sleep in the same room of the house as me (the bouncer was good because it was portable!) and I'm thinking that we will need to get one now but again am not sure whether to get one that monitors breathing or one that is just for noise.

Any advice??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wouldn't put her upstairs if you don't want to. DS has all his daytime sleeps in the swing or the pram bassinet.
    We do have a movement monitor but can't actually use it in the bassinet so will keep it to use in the cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

She will be fine upstairs I don't think it's good for then to sleep in a bouncer during the day sleeps I'm a believer of they always sleep in there beds

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cheekyC's For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (24-08-2012)

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter slept in the bassi at night, and the rocker in the lounge by day, until she was about 4 or 5mths old. It was just me and her at home during the day, so it was fairly quiet, but not too quiet, and she would drift off when she was ready. I found she really didn't like day sleeps in the bassi, so I just continued with the rocker until she was ready to sleep in her cot during the day. There are so many benefits to keep on using the rocker, when she would sniffle around during her naps, it was easy to hear her and gently rock her back to sleep again and extend her naps out. And honestly, I just couldn't bear having her too far away!

I would just go with what works, and if you aren't comfortable leaving her upstairs, I wouldn't do it. For my babies, I knew they slept better if I was close by, so having them in the lounge room worked while they were very little. it was only when they were a few months older and more easily startled and distracted that I started sleeping them in their rooms during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She should be fine in her bassinet for her day sleeps...even if you using a sound monitor rather than a movement monitor as you cant put monitors in the bassinet but at least with a sound monitor in the room you can hear her if she wakes.

I found my DD never liked to have day sleeps from about 3 weeks old until i started putting her into her bassinet and then she went from cat napping (30 mins/4-5 times a day) to having 3 x 1.5-2 hour naps a day. DD has always slept in her own room over night since we got home from the hospital so i think she recognised her room with sleep time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How often do you check your newborn when they are sleeping?

My ds slept in his cot at that age but after he got very ill at 7 weeks i became a paranoid mum, i had a portacot in the loungeroom for day sleeps and my bed for night ones.

Eta ds slept in his swing til 7 weeks but i moved him to the portacot as he wasn't comfy im the swing
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Pick up a monitor (eBay have loads) it will be peace of mind for you for the next few yrs...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My 6 slept everywhere and anywhere. It worked really well for us. I never worried about being home for nap time etc.. My kids are great sleepers.

Forgot to add. I check on mine every half hour or so, if they are not in the room I am in.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 24-08-2012 at 13:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I have a 4 week old DD (3rd bub). DD has all sleeps in her bassinette, wrapped. Day and night. The bassinette is in our room. My DD has started having more awake periods now too after sleeping for the first 3 or so weeks. When she is awake, she sits in her bouncer, but this is only for about 30 minutes max as she shows tired signs and I put her to bed. She usually goes off on her own, sometimes she will make some noises, which I hear on the monitor, but I don't go in (as she is not crying or in distress) and she drops off in a few minutes. I have an angelcare monitor (no vision, just sound and beep sensor alarm) and have it in the kitchen so I can hear her (I saw them in Woolies for about $160 the other day). When she's asleep, I generally don't check on her, but if I need to go into our room to get something, I see her there and have a quick sticky beak. If we are out and about, she can sleep in the pram or car capsule, but when she's at home, all sleep is done in the bassinette. Personally, I find the monitor really useful as I can hear her when she wakes up and I can try to get on with other activities in other areas of the house when she's asleep. All the best

11. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (24-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gemski View Post
    . Now that she is becoming more alert she tends to take longer to fall asleep after feeds and when in her bouncer she will just look at things in the room - in the afternoons/evenings she then doesn't fall asleep and becomes over-tired/cranky.

Any advice??
    this irritable increase is normal and won't be fixed by changing her sleeping environment. So, just make your decision based on what works for you. I keep mine in the bouncer in the lounge so I can rock her back to sleep if she stirs like a PP said..plus if I miss those first 'im waking' noises and she ends up crying/screaming she is so much harder to settle for the rest of the day.

The evening tears are meant to peak at six weeks and start to ease by eight, so there will be and end in sight eventually. I make sure I stick to an evening routine with my six weeker (definitely peaking!!), and I've found even if she screams through bathtime she'll be asleep within 10 mins of getting dressed in her jarmies.