+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborn with snuffly nose, panicking at breast

DS is 11 days old and gave me an absolutely awful night last night after being pretty easy until this point. His nose sounds a bit snuffly when he breathes and I think he's finding it difficult to breathe while feeding. He's always been a very good feeder but is suddenly pulling away, gasping for breath and screaming in protest after just a few sucks. He's obviously hungry but not tolerating feeding.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips for how to clear his nose? We tried a hot bath late last night which finally got him to sleep for a short while but without a feed. His breathing sounds better this morning and he's feeding better but I want to be prepared for next time cos it wasn't much fun last night!

Thanks
    Reviews

Fess little noses worked brilliantly for the girls - you can get it from the chemist

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep I use Fess Little Noses all the time, works great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Feed baby in a steamy bathroom, or after having a nice warm shower or bath with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Snot suckers!

I think we have a demazin one.
    It's a saline solution that dissolves the snot, then there is a pipette to suck it out with.

We had to do this right before feeds with DS for a while and it worked

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I put a small amount of icky bear rub on MY bra, Never on bub. It works a treat.

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD had a bad flu when she was little, I found that putting a little Baby Vicks on my upper chest would help her breathe a little easier (seeing as she pretty much lived in my arms at that point)

Also if you can, squirt some breastmilk into the nostrils, it is magic for clearing noses too. Just a bit of jiggling around to get the angles just right!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you all so much for your responses!! Where can I get Fess little noses and the saline squishy thing? Are they pharmacy-only products or can I get them in the supermarket?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think the little fess etc is only at tr chemist.

The other thing to try us a vaporizer. DD was SO sniffly for the first couple of months after she was born. Fess worked a bit, but we used the vaporizer every night for a week and she's not been sniffly since!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I agree with all the other mummies :-) fess little noses , those snot suckers scare me but if your game I hear they work good. Vicks baby rub on my chest not bubs and try to keep him more elevated up right rather than on his side . Poor little muffin nothing worse then a stuffy nose on such a young bub.