+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips for transition cot to bed

Hi ladies

Well we are pregnant with #3 and DS turns 2 in November (baby due in March) so I would ideally like to have him in a bed before the end of the year. My DD was and still is a 'go with the flow' kind of kid so she transitioned really well in every area (breast to bottle to cup, cot to bed etc.). My DS does not take change well and we have only had him sleeping all night since April. I'm so nervous about disrupting his sleep or making him nervous about going to bed or worse still, the thought of him climbing in and out of bed just because he can. It's not just the new baby coming, I can also hear him banging into the sides of the cot through the night when he rolls around which surely can't be comfortable for him.

Any tips to help this transition easier for us all? Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dont make a big deal out of it. Just casusally set up his bed and then just put him to bed as usual. Make sure you have a bed rail and even put some pillows around the wall side to stop him hurting himself.
    Expect there will be a couple of bad nights etc but just keep it calm!
    DS was 18 months when we changed him to a bed (he was climbing out of his cot) and as he was so young he didnt really understand what was happening so i couldnt really explain it to him. DD was a bit older so i was able to explain it.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tips for transition cot to bed

My DS was a terrible sleeper too and also waking himself by rolling into the sides of the cot. We started with day sleeps in the big bed around 16 months and he loved it. We started him at nights around 23 months because we needed the cot for ds2 who was 4 months by then and he's never slept better! I think he enjoys the cuddles and bedtime stories in bed together!

Oh and it took him a week to realise he could escape then another week of taking him back before he stopped!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tips for transition cot to bed

I've just been at a sleep clinic with my ds and one thing they suggested is taking him shopping and letting him choose a doona cover or pillow to make it exciting for him. Although my ds is only 16 months so wouldn't understand that but yours might be at an age to? Also on the information I was given about settling a toddler in bed was to always use the same words along the line of "lay down its time for sleep" and then if they get out just keep taking them back to bed and using the same words. After 30 mins to 60 mins if they are still awake give them a drink and a cuddle and start again. Hopefully it only takes a few nights for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips! We are going to be using DD's top bunk for his bed for a little while (obviously not as a bunk!) it will be set up in his room. I am keen on this idea as it already has the railing attached to the side. He has already picked out his doona cover so we might give it a go this weekend. His day sleeps are still terrible so I'm not holding out much hope there unfortunately. I still have to take him in the car to get him to fall asleep and then transfer him to bed. It's the most pain free way to do it. I will pop in and update to let you know how we get on

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 18mths and #2 due Dec. We have set up her bed right next to her cot and it's been there for the past 3 weeks. I got her a bright fun doona cover and lined up little couch pillows against the wall. Her favourite dolly's and teddies are sitting on there too.
    I got pool noodles and placed them under the fitted sheet on both sides of the bed so it limits her rolling space and makes it feel cosier.
    We have 2 bean bags we dont use so i have put them both next to the bed continuing from the bed safety rail. She quite confidently crawls all over them to get onto her bed and i have "let her fall" from the bed onto them to show her it wont hurt. Sh actually thinks it's a game...falling off the bed :|...not my plan but anyways.
    ATM she loves her big bed and plays on it, pretends to go nigh nighs and actually wants to get into in now for her sleeps, but i'm not ready yet lol! We are waiting for school holidays so if we go thru a few rough nights, we dont have to face work the next day (we r teachers).
    I have a feeling it will take alot of perserverence and repetition when she gets out of bed during the night. I plan to use a no fuss approach if she gets out of bed, that is - no eye contact, put her back, tuck in and walk out untill she realises that's where she needs to be now. There will be no mucking around, no laying with her till she falls asleep. No baby gates to lock her in her room!!! sheesh!
    I really want her all settled in her big bed well before next bub arrives. Just one less thing to be up for during the night!
    Goodluck with your transition!
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 24-08-2012 at 14:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just moved DS into a bed too and yes it took him a few nights to realise he could escape too. The last 2nights he did get out and come down to the lounge room and snuck in with a big grin on his face - he clearly thought it was so cool to have such independence! It took all of my will not to smile with him but I said 'no darling it's bed time' and we went back. He stayed in there after a couple of those episodes.

I suggest putting the bed in the same spot the cot was. I think it helps the transition if it's similar to where they're used to sleeping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips for transition cot to bed

Hi. We have a very similar problem. My DS will be 2 in October and number 4 is coming in February. DS is so great in his cot even when he says no to bed or nap and goes to sleep in his cot with no fuss. He also bangs around in the night.
    Our decision has been made to just leave him in his cot because it's working. We have a cradle in our room for the new baby which we used for around 3 months last time so that gives us until May to then re-evaluate the situation unless he is ready before hand.