+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Older parents: Have you ever been mistaken for Grandparents?

Quote Originally Posted by Inked Mumma View Post
    My dad was 48 when he had his second child everyone askes him all the time if it's my kid because they know he then had me the 24 yr old who had a son as well
    So was my Dad - and he was 44 when he had me, his first child. He had groovy salt & pepper hair - that I now think, as an adult woman, made him look very handsome and distinguished - but as a child I thought it made him look old. He often got mistaken for my grandfather, and I'm ashamed to admit it but I was terribly embarrassed for a long time by how much older he was than my friends' fathers. These days, however, he wouldn't stick out so much - as a society we're having children later so it's no big deal. OP, I wouldn't let it bother you - it doesn't have any bearing on how good a mum you are I always appreciated the wealth of experience my older parents had to share with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 45 with a almost 4 year old. My husband, neice (26), my daughter and I walked into a car yard looking to buy a suv. The salesman first insulted me by excluded me from any conversation (spoke only to my husband) and then when he realised we were serious about buying and he decided he should at least acknowledge me was visibly shocked when I told him the child was mine. I said "Why, do I look to old to have a child this age?". He said "Yes, you do". Needless to say he didn't get the sale and we went 50klms away to the next dealership to buy the exact same car he was trying to sell us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I get the opposite! I'm 29 (30 in November) and I actually heard a woman comment under her breath about 'teenage pregnancies!'

I've always looked young but seriously I dont look THAT young! It's always bothered me no end that people comment on my age!

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    I get the opposite! I'm 29 (30 in November) and I actually heard a woman comment under her breath about 'teenage pregnancies!'

I've always looked young but seriously I dont look THAT young! It's always bothered me no end that people comment on my age!
    Sorry to derail here .....

Hi cuddles I've replied to your message but not sure if your inbox is full . Can you pm me ? Thanks !!

Sorry to go off topic OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lydie View Post
    I am 45 with a almost 4 year old. My husband, neice (26), my daughter and I walked into a car yard looking to buy a suv. The salesman first insulted me by excluded me from any conversation (spoke only to my husband) and then when he realised we were serious about buying and he decided he should at least acknowledge me was visibly shocked when I told him the child was mine. I said "Why, do I look to old to have a child this age?". He said "Yes, you do". Needless to say he didn't get the sale and we went 50klms away to the next dealership to buy the exact same car he was trying to sell us.
    Oh my god, what a turd-bucket!

Thanks
    Reviews

Not quite the same, but when I had my third child my dad came to visit me in hospital the next morning and as my room was right next to the desk I heard the midwife ask if he was my husband when he inquired what room I was in! I was completely mortified!

To be fair, my dad was only 42 at the time and had my 7 year old sister with him ... But still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies everyone, some of them gave me a real giggle.

I realise I am old enough to be her grandma but still found it upsetting. It has made me stop and think about labelling everyone while we are out (eg give this to Mummy with the receipt).

I am really tired of making the effort to look great all the time though... by the time I get myself and her ready it's exhausting. Maybe I need to make more of an effort when we are going to the park so it doesn't happen again lol.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Older parents: Have you ever been mistaken for Grandparents?

Yessss... Re. Effort to look great.... Hmmmm... I walked away from my particular encounter thinking "****, time for an image overhaul" but geez, time and budget are limited, energy too... what's a girl supposed to do? Pull out the blue rinse I guess lol

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**