+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Milk Supply has dried up on one side only

A little bit of background info first.
    My son is just on 4 weeks old. We had alot of difficulties breastfeeding for the first 2 weeks. Bubs would attach really well, but then would not suck or swallow anything. I started expressing in hospital and he would swallow ok from a bottle. But everytime I would first try to feed him at the breast, then whatever expressed milk I had from a bottle. The problem was, without bubs to stimulate me, my supply was very low and I could only express a tiny amount (about 5mls each side). So we eventually had to add some formula too.

So fast forward to week 2, and he finally figured out the suck / swallow thing. But then decided he didnt like drinking from my right breast. I tried all the different holding positions but it was always a struggle. So he never drank much from that side. Still I would always try to offer both sides at each feed.

Now we have made it to week 4. He drinks very well from my left side, but wont take anything from the right side. Consequently my right side has completely dried up! I cant express anything, I cant even get a single drop out when I massage the breast tissue. If he does suck from the right side a little there's not a single drop there once he pulls away (no dribbles or any moisture at all).

So now I am walking around with two very uneven sized breasts. Not a good look, but something Im willing to deal with if I have to. What Im more concerned about is that he's only going to get more and more hungry (he was 4.4kgs born and is already up to 5.3kgs) and keeping up that supply from only one side is going to get hard.
    we still add formula at the end of each feed - at the moment he has at least 90mls formula each feed. If it gets to the stage where I have to feed him exclusively formula I will (if thats whats best for him), but I really want to try and get this right side boob supplying some milk again.

So after that long winded intro - the question is WHAT ARE YOUR TIPS FOR TRYING TO RE-ESTABLISH A MILK SUPPLY ONCE IT HAS DRIED UP? Can it even be done?

Thanks heaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Milk Supply has dried up on one side only

Hi my ds preferred lefty over righty so i now have the lop sided boobs too.. I took him to a baby chiropractor who said they can favour one side if their neck is out of line from the birth.. So might be worth taking bubs to see one and if they can make your baby more comfy laying on the side to take milk from your right

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm another who took DS to a baby chiropractor as a new baby because he preferred the left boob. His neck was stiff and I think it was more comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had similar issue . First 5 days bub wouldn't latch then when she did I could only get her on left side so I expressed right side. I finally got get to latch on right side around week 3. Bub is 6 weeks old now and right side is now still less full than left side . Maybe expressing right side after each feed will bring back supply. Even if there is no milk at first just keep on pumping

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I was told that it's because the letdown is faster in the left breast. Dd was the same, so I offer her the right breast first. she drinks well from both now
    Last edited by strawberry swing; 26-08-2012 at 23:06.