+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What is the best bread?

I agree with pp on sprouted or sourdough wholemeal or spelt bread - also try mountain bread for wraps instead of bread for weight loss as you would only need 1/2 wrap instead of 2 pieces of bread for a sandwich

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I agree with pp on sprouted or sourdough wholemeal or spelt bread - also try mountain bread for wraps instead of bread for weight loss as you would only need 1/2 wrap instead of 2 pieces of bread for a sandwich
    How good are mountain bread wraps! We go through a few packets a week. My kids looooove them with all sorts of fillings and once my mornning sickness/meat pie/hamburger fetish finishes I'll be back on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: What is the best bread?

Love mountain bread rye wraps and for loaf there is an oganic wholemeal you can get at the supermarket..not sure the brand but its got yellow on package.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    How good are mountain bread wraps! We go through a few packets a week. My kids looooove them with all sorts of fillings and once my mornning sickness/meat pie/hamburger fetish finishes I'll be back on them.
    We use them for kebabs or enchiladas too - actually sounds like a plan for dinner tomorrow night!

Thanks
    Reviews

We only buy mountain bread and mission wraps instead of loaves of bread in an attempt to reduce our wheat intake for DS1 sake and OMG what a differance and the kids love them - if we do get bread its always wholemeal or multigrain

sent from my happy place while I steal 5min for myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks guys. I had no idea about the sourdough and haven't heard of spelt bread before so I will have a look.

I will be limiting my bread anyway. I was planning on varing things between mountain bread and bread. Now I'm torn between that and just mountain bread. I might get something and have it in the freezer just in case.

So, is sourdough better than the low gi white bread that the girls are eating?

I planned on getting something better for me and freezing it but I also wanted to try to get the girls to give it a try. I don't think they will be happy with grains though. They do like mountain bread though so I might try pushing that more. Not that they eat lots of bread either, just lunch times really and still not every day.

Thanks
    Reviews

The great thing withountain bread and mission wraps is that they come in so many varieties and flavours so if you get bored with one you can change it up

sent from my happy place while I steal 5min for myself

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    RE: sourdough

yeh if you google it you will find a fair bit of info, but basically normal bread is flour/milled grain of some sort with yeast added to make it rise. As well as the quality of the flour used, the amount of yeast also impacts of how you digest it. With sugar and right conditions yeast ferments in your stomach (same way the make beer) and this can make you feel bloated, tired and isn't great for your digestion in general. (Alot of ppl who are intolerant to wheat probably have these symptoms?).

Sourdough is milled flour/grains that shuoldn't have any added yeast. Yeast occurs naturally is flour (different levels depending on grain) and once flour is combined wiht water, warm and a bit of sugar it will naturally ferment. So sourdough is different because it uses only the natural yeast already found in the flour/milled grain as a rising agent. It's called a starter - where they take a small amount of flour, water, maybe some salt and sugar and leave it for 48hours to naturally ferment. They then take a small amount of this starter and add to the a big batch of dough in much the same way you would normally add yeast.

Starters can end up being years and years old (each day the baker will add a little more flour, water, sugar and each day they will take a little to make the bread for the day).

Once hte bread is made it needs to proove for longer then yeast activated bread - it works more slowly but as a result of all the activation taking place naturally and having time to be released it can mean it doens't happen so much in your gutt and for this reason it is generally healthier.

But as with anything these days just read the info, cos I am positive I have had sourdoughs that were nothign like real sourdough adn still had added yeast. A real sourdough will taste slightly sour,be heavy and chewy and naturally very filling.

Even better if you can find a sourdough made from a wholemeal grain or a rye or spelt.

Spelt is just a type of grain I think??? But it is a very old grain that ppl find more torerlable then wheat.

Sprouted bread is made from different sprouts (ie. alfalfa, brocoli etc) that have been activated and sprouted. Then pressed together to make a bread. Personally I find them very heavy, wet and don't taste like bread to me and I don't really like them (although they are super healthy for you). I don't know muhc about it as I don't really eat it - im not sure if some are mixed iwth flours or if they are just sprouted. I have seen and eaten both raw and cooked sprout bread but didn't like either.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews

Just check the ingredients of those mission wraps - when I checked them out last time they were full of preservatives which is why mountain bread is better, as they had none

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (24-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks so much for that!

I do Bakers Delight for bread and I presume they do real sourdough. It does say it contains natural yeast. I do like the rye mountain breads so might give the rye sourdough a try too.