+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Worried about going into labour at work

I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant and had my first midwife appointment on Tuesday. She asked when I'll be finishing up at work and I said I'm hoping to work until 38 weeks, and she said she advises I finish at 36 weeks in case I go into labour early, however if I have someone at work who can drive me to the hospital if necessary it should be ok. She has me a bit worried now, luckily I work with my best friend who would drive me to hospital, but I want to be finished work before bub arrives! Has anyone gone into labour at work, and what happened?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I didn't go into labour at work but I did go into labour at 38+2, so I think 36 weeks is a good time to finish up (if you can). By that stage I was exhausted and I really enjoyed that time off between work and DS's arrival. Next time I plan on finishing even earlier, to have a bit more time off.

Also, the policy at my workplace is for maternity leave to start at 34 weeks, and if you want to work beyond that you need medical clearance. It's easy to get, but something to keep in mind!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

JR03  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I finished up at 37 weeks and likewise needed clearance from a doc as my workplace also requires this beyond 34 weeks. I have been part time since 30 weeks though (3days a week) and I don't think I could have worked til 37 weeks full time... I was exhausted! It's nice to be at home nesting and preparing for bubs arrival (my mind was always on work prior to finishing up).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to squirrelex For This Useful Post:

JR03  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I had planned on finishing up in the first week of August (at 38wks) but pulled it forward a week to end of July as I was exhausted and just over it to be honest. Baby ended up coming on 10 August so glad I left when I did, to get that 1.5wks break.
    If u can afford to leave at 36 or 37 wks, it's a good option. You'll hit a point where you can't be bothered struggling to find clothes (that fit)every morning for work !!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to newmummy2010 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Financially I wanted to work for as long as possibly but if I have to finish up 2 weeks earlier than planned, so be it.
    I work in HR so know that my company doesn't have a policy about finishing up at 34 weeks. Kind of wish I was a forklift driver or something so I could go on 'no safe job leave' - its a legislative entitlement where your job is unsafe to perform while pregnant so if there is no safe job available, you go on fully paid leave which doesn't reduce your parental leave entitlement... That'd be amazing lol!

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Worried about going into labour at work

I worked fulltime up until 37 weeks with my first and then went on to have her 16 days after my due date ... so could have worked longer.

Second I stopped part time work at 38 weeks and had him 2 days later (planned c-section).

Third I had to stop at 20 weeks for medical reasons.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

JR03  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I worked until 39 weeks with my DD and she arrived at 42 weeks.

Let your body guide you as you go. Be prepared to be flexible if you need to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

JR03  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I finished at 34 weeks, and I am so glad I did as its given me the chance to get all the little jobs done I never had time for (organizing my linen cupboard/filing cabinet, decorate babies room etc etc) and I was getting exhausted as I am on my feet all day at work!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

JR03  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Finished 39 weeks, everyone thought I was going to have bubs at work lol. Then I went home and sat around bored until 41 weeks!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

JR03  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I finished up at work at 38 weeks and had DD at 39 weeks. The only tiring part for me was driving to and from work. Apart from that I was comfortable with working - I'm one of those people that need to be on the go all the time.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummajugs28 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (25-08-2012)