+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New job - tax declaration - do we pay the same tax as a single parent to married folk

curious to know (will call tax office in the morning) but I just started a new job.. they have my tax file number so said they didn't need a tax declaration but somebody said that I have to make sure they have a tax declaration that confirms I am a single parent of 3 children to make sure I don't pay so much tax? first I've heard of this.. do single parents pay the same amount of tax as married parents? any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New job - tax declaration - do we pay the same tax as a single parent to married folk

Same basic tax rate. You would be able to claim all three children as dependants on your return though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes we pay the same amount of tax as it is worked out on an individual basis. We do, however, get some of it back as family tax benefit (same as other families with only one income). This comes from centrelink though and doesn't concern your employer and your regular pay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you do your return you check a box about being a low income earner, depending how much you earn and how many children you have; being single parent to three dependents can put you in that category even if you earn average money, for equity purposes I suppose. I don't remember the details but recall reading it on the form and ticking the box last year, and you get more tax back. There's also the FTB supplement which is supposed to offset tax paid.

But as someone else said, it doesn't matter when you provide your TFN to a new employer, they tax you same as they would anyone else, and the ATO sorts it out at the end of next financial year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I pay the higher tax rate because I've always worked more than 1 job, but it's no different to someone who is partnered. It only matters at tax time, but it's just about a 1 income family, not necessarily single parent, just single income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no 'single' and 'married' rate of tax there is only one tax rate; the difference between 'married' and 'single' comes into play on your tax return for the purposes of calculating medicare levy / medicare levy surcharge.