+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 5 year old won't participate in any activities

I have a gorgeous 5 year old who will not participate in any activities like swimming sports etc. I even tried karate because his friend from school was doing it. He doesn't socialize with kids part from school as we don't have a lot of friends here. I was hoping he will do the activities together him into a social scene of his own new friends etc. he is a lot like me and isn't very confident in himself. I will give you an example he was doing swimming lessons and it was going great until the teacher put him up to a higher level the next term he struggled and lost the only confidence he had I couldn't get him to go swimming and I ended up stopping him from going as he would get so upset and wouldn't go in the water. I just want to ge this confidence to try new things etc. any suggestions would be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    have you tried one of the ones that lets them try different sports...i think there is one call "go kids"...will see if i can find a link.

scouts? chess? art classes?

let him give lots of things a go and see what he likes..but, once he choses make him stick it out for 2 terms (even if it means sitting with him for the lesson on "bad days")

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

I find it hard to get to meet new mums especially when my boy is in school but am trying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What do you mean he "will not participate"? What does he do if you actually take him to a class? Sit down and not move??

I would be mean Mummy and keep taking him (obviously to an activity I think he'd actually enjoy once he got over initial hesitation). Surely the teacher would involve him, if not I can't imagine he'd enjoy many weeks of sitting on the sidelines. I would certainly persevere with swimming because that's a survival skill IMO. Giving up when he struggled with swimming would just make his confidence issues worse, surely. Persistence will help give him the confidence he lacks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Maybe he might enjoy doing something that is with you, that he does alongside you.

5 years old is still really young and until around 7, many children aren't particularly social and prefer to stay in their little world that they know

It sounds like maybe you are pushing him a bit because you're concern he is like you.
    Try not to worry so much

Have you tried things like art classes instead of sports?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Meeting other parents since she started school has actually been much easier than beforehand for
    me... So I'm sorry you've not had the same experience.

Tbh, and maybe I'm a mean mum but I just wouldn't put up with him not doing something. I wouldn't force my child to play tennis for longer than I'd paid for or anything, but swimming isn't optional. She knows this - her choice is to do as I say and get in the pool and learn to not drown or put up with me being furious that she's unwilling to participate.

At 5 there's no real reason for extra curricular activities... Like they're not essential... So I wouldn't stress too much if he's not interested. Some people are also just not social... Kids or adults. They don't enjoy large group activities. This is, and always has been, me. Perhaps there is something else he may enjoy.