+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bad experiences using food rewards when TT?

I rarely use food rewards but TBH nothing motivates my child as much as the promise of a 'lolly'.

She's recently started showing interest in the toilet (or atleast the potty) and today I took her pants off and told her if she could 'make a wee in the potty' I'd give her a treat. She sat down straight away and did a wee.

Weve had 3 wees and a poo since, no misses, and everytime she's stopped what she's doing and ran to the potty herself, then asked for a treat.

Now while this is working GREAT ATM, I'm wondering if it's going to come back to bite me.

Anyone have any bad (or good) experiences using food rewards when TT? Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic experience here! After many months of torture, using Smarties (one for wee, 2 for poo) was the ONLY thing that worked, and worked really very fast.
    We probably used the Smarties for a month or so? can't remember. Then slowly tapered off them. He forgot sometimes to ask, so I didn't remind him. Then after a couple of weeks of not having them consistently, if he asked I would just say Smarties were now for poos only, then we just weaned off those too. No problems getting rid of the treats here.
    Last edited by CMF; 23-08-2012 at 16:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I wouldn't do it the way you are where she gets a Lilly every time she goes.
    I personally gave her a sticker every time she went, and after she had a certain amount of stickers she got a lollipop.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (23-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Bad experiences using food rewards when TT?

Same experience as CMF here! It was the only thing that worked for DS1 and eventually he just stopped asking - I am just beginning the journey again with DS2 and while its taking a while for him to get the gist of a lolly for a pee it is happening more frequently and it is the ONLY time he gets lollies (other then parties etc) so when he sees them and asks I say 'those lollies are for piddles' and he's happy with that

sent from my happy place while I steal 5min for myself

6. The Following User Says Thank You to My Three Angels For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (23-08-2012)

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you, I know food rewards are seen as a big 'no no' but it works so well

DD is the same (rarely gets lollys) and she's now eatting all her fruit & veg so I don't think there is any harm.

I was wondering how to 'wean' her off them so thank you for the ideas.

I've tried the sticker chart but she's not really that faised by it. Also tried positive re-enforcement, play/paint/book/block/park treats but she doesn't really 'get' it.

Mention a Lolly/cookie & shes all over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I used choc chips with DS but only needed to use them for one day, it worked really well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we used marshmallows lol

we weaned off gradually...the first week was for a wee or a poo....2nd week was for a morning or arvo with good loo using...then week 4 i think we went to 1 for a full day in undies (i forgave the odd accident of course). Then, i just stopped giving them.

i have had no issues and DS now 8!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I used jelly beans and jelly babies for DD1 for a month or so then tapered back to a couple after dinner if she'd used the potty all day then slowly as she forgot to ask i stopped giving them

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Bad experiences using food rewards when TT?

Just a little tale from this morning....

We just got our first voluntary pee in the toilet (ie took himself - no prompting) so I made the biggest deal over it and we literally had a parade of singing and dancing and cheering all the way from the toilet to the kitchen so ds2 could get his lolly - he was so proud of the achievement!

sent from my happy place while I steal 5min for myself

12. The Following User Says Thank You to My Three Angels For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (24-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I tried for ages with non food rewards, but he wasnt really interested in them. Out of interest i offered a lolly one day and the improvement in tt was out of this world. Like others, no troubles weaning off them either.