+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 8 months old and night feeding.

Hi all,

So my 8 month old DS is STILL having 3 feeds during the night. He has never really been an awesome sleeper, the most he will sleep is 7 and half hours straight - but has only done that a few times. For the last 3 weeks he has been having 3 and sometimes 4 bottles. Either all 200ml or 150ml each time. I am wondering if this is just out of habit? Do they night wean themselves? A few of my friends with babies all say their baby sleeps through the night so im kind of feeling my baby isnt the norm... ?? I don't know what else i can do to encourage him to sleep more at night and drop a feed or two. I honestly don't think he geniunely needs 3-4 bottles just at night! He is having 3 solid meals a day, and generally has 4 bottles a day, 4 hourly, 150ml. I am wondering if i should drag it out maybe to 4 and half hourly in hope he might take 200ml??? I have tried doing 4 hourly at 200ml but he will only drink 150ml.
    Im not sure what else to do. Its super tiring having to get up 3-4 times a night for feeds plus another 4 times for when his dummy falls out or he cant find it himself.
    Does anyone have any advice or tips for me??

Thankyou.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and he will generally feed 6am, 10am, 2pm,6pm then goes to bed. Wakes at 10pm for a bottle again at 1:30am-2am for a bottle and 5am for a bottle. I have tried giving him just water and putting him back down in his cot, but he will sleep for 10 -20 minutes and then wake up crying for comfort or food. I have also tried patting and shhing him back to sleep as i am not fond of CIO method.

Is there anything else i can try??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Rather than dragging out feeds to over 4 hours, have you tried more frequent feeds during the day? If you did 3 hourly feeds during the day, you would get an extra feed in.

My DD had night feeds til after 15 months of age, and DS 7 months old still feeds multiple times over night. This is actually more normal than sleeping through without night wakes. And, yep DD night weaned herself without any 'training' by me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi there,

My 9 month old is still waking 2-3 times a night for a feed. He eats three meals a day, plus 5 breastfeeds.

I tried to cut out one of his night feeds at about 6 months, just by cuddling him back to sleep, and after three nights, he slept through that feed. Success! Then he had a bout of gastro at 8 months and didn't have any solids for a week, so I was feeding him whenever he wanted it. Tried to cut back on one of the night feeds again but he would have none of it. After a week of screaming in my arms I gave up.

I think it's actually fairly normal for 'older' babies to still be waking and feeding. In my mother's group only two babies are sleeping through - the rest are still waking regularly. I also spoke to my MIL and five of her six children were still waking at nights for feeds until they self weaned. So for my DS, I think it's normal.

It's hard. I know how hard it is. I know that during the day it's easy to be calm about it, and that at 3am it's oh so hard. But you are not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, my 11 mth old still wakes at night for 1 feed around 3am, and that is fairly common among my group of friends.

I agree with PP try and feed as much as possible during the day and include as much protein in his solids as possible, particularly at dinner time as they keep you fuller for longer. I do notice a difference when DS eats more at dinner he can last till maybe 4-5am.

One option may be to try a dream feed? You could try that a 9pm and he may then get through with just one feed... Looking back I wish I had done a dream feed but fear it is too late for us now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

It's more 'normal' for babies to wake for those feeds at night.

My DS woke for 1-4 feeds per night up until 10 months when I couldn't handle the sleepless nights anymore and weaned him from nightfeeds.

I first checked with my CHN about it as being a first time mum I was worried that it wasn't the right thin to do.

She told me babies should only not need night feeds once they r eating 3 full solid meals per day.

Well at 8 months my DS wasn't eating 'enough' solids (due to me not wanting to over feed him) but by 10 months he was well and truly eating enough solids. So I weaned him from night feeds.

I guess it depends on the baby and depends in how big their appetite is for solids.

Personally I wouldn't cut the nightfeeds for my babies at younger than 10 months. I believe they still need it if they r waking for it (younger than 10 months)

But that's just my opinion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing.

Hopefully we're on track - if the amount of solids DD2 ate for dinner is anything to go by!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's completely normal for a baby to be waking at night at 8months... be very very thankful that it's every couple of hours and not every 40mins.

My now 2.8yr old woke every 20-40mins until she was 2 and since then now only wakes every 2hrs. We tried everything. I even weaned her from bfing and it made nada difference. No matter what we do, she still wakes. And she absolutely hates co-sleeping so that didn't even help. I am SUPER thankful my 7 month old only wakes 4 times a night.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to naget For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My 14 mo can wake up to 3 times a night for a feed. She's only ever slept trough a handful of times. And there's no way of settling her without a bottle!!