+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default So...... this sucks.......

Hey all

So i'm in the process of seperating from DH. We have to make some big decisions and i'm pretty overwhelmed with it all.

The biggest thing is deciding what to do with our house once i find some suitable accomodation for him (he has an acquired brain injury). And since i've been his carer for 8 years I will need to seek alternate arrangements as far as he goes cause he can't do it on his own.

Anyways, despite that, i need to secure an option for myself and the boys, we have a mortgage and the amount is pretty exxy, but if i were to rent a house equivalent to ours in this area i'd only be paying $100 less per week, which i'm not sure how do-able would be on a single mums pension anyways.

The alternate is get into full time work asap, i have a degree but haven't used it yet and haven't worked for nearly 8 years, so that's a big hurdle to securing employment. Then i'd have to put the kids in daycare. But i'd do whatever it took so that we can keep this house.

Has anyone been down this road that could give me some advice? I've made appts at various organisations but it's the financial aspect i'm most stressing about.

Thanks for any help.

Vee

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

V - I'm not sure in your situation but couldn't read and not post. Hopefully someone has some info that can help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Just wanted to send some sorry to hear you're going through this, hope it all works out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: So...... this sucks.......

There are so many variables and you may find that the cost of daycare negates the point of working as the threshold is pretty low before you lose ccb (or was that ccr?).

Could you get a boarder? Or live separately in the same house?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Dh already lives in his own bedroom, so having him here isn't an option that's viable long term at all. I could look at a boarder, but not sure about sharing with strangers. I'm still going to have to support myself, any idea what the threshold is for working single mums to still be entitled to CCB?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

I can't remember if it's 36k, 46k, our somewhere in between. Might be diff with 3 kids too

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

V8  (23-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Try and see if there's a Wesley uniting office near you, they offer free financial advice from professional financial advisors. Your better off going to one now before things get really behind.

Do you know someone who would move in with you and pay for a room? A friend, relative, someone who has wants to move out of home but maybe doesn't want to leave because of the price of renting a house?

Sit down and work out your budget, inc groceries, mortgage and any other loans, utilities. Work out how much you would have left if you were on the SPP and FTB A & B. Is it enough to have spare change to save for a rainy day? If not maybe look into part time work to supplement? Family day care is usually cheaper than centers and they have carers for early hours or late night's. Even if your just packing shelves for woolies until you find the next stepping stone.

Sorry I cant be much help. Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkplease3 For This Useful Post:

V8  (23-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Dh already lives in his own bedroom, so having him here isn't an option that's viable long term at all. I could look at a boarder, but not sure about sharing with strangers. I'm still going to have to support myself, any idea what the threshold is for working single mums to still be entitled to CCB?
    Not sure exactly what the threshold is but it's quite high. I was earning $53k and my CCB % was 88.5( i think). It was changed a few times but was always in the late 80's to mid 90's. That was with 2 kids so with 3 you should get slightly more CCB.
    There is the possibility of being entitle to JET when you fist start working. I think its about 12 weeks you can get it for.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

V8  (23-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I earn over $100k and I still get a small amount of CCB. I also get the rebate too which is 50% of your out of pocket costs back. I think if you earn over $150k you don't get anything, but under that you still get the rebate.

Working almost always works out to be financially better, unless you are in a very low paying job with multiple kids in daycare.

There are online estimators on the centrelink website - www.familyassist.gov.au. You can estimate your CCB entitlements there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

V8  (23-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

I don't know wtf is happening for me then. I was explained (numerous times) that if I went full time and earned 50k , that I'd only get the ccr which is capped at around 7k a year anyway.
    I'd also lose my pension and therefore my concession, pharmacy, phone and rent allowance.