+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please help - advice needed

My DD is 2. She started childcare 4 weeks ago. She goes 1 day a week. The first two weeks she was excited about going but would get a little bit upset when I left her, which I wasn't too worried about. I've rung & checked up on her a few times & am told she had settled in and was fine.
    Things seem to have gone downhill in since last week. The night before she goes she has a really rough sleep, waking intermittently and calling out. This happened last week and last night. She has also started crying before we left the house begging to go shops instead of babyschool. By the time we get there she is hysterical and crying to go home. When I hand her over to the cater she doesn't cling and weirdly instantly stops crying but is still upset. My instincts are telling me to pull her out. Is this normal for het to be like this or is something not right? She is a very sensative kid but has spent plenty of tine away from me with family and friends.
    Help please! I don't know what to do my pregnant hormonal self wants to go and get her and keep her home safe with me forever

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Please help - advice needed

I would pull her out

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

bressar  (23-08-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Please help - advice needed

I think it's a really really tough one. DS went through a phase like that, after he'd been at the centre for over a year. It lasted about two weeks and now he absolutely loves it again. I would maybe ask for a meeting with the staff to see if you can find out a reason for the change. Maybe there's a new kid in the room or an existing one is getting a bit aggressive, maybe a new staff member, maybe she is picking up on/understanding more that you are pregnant and is getting extra clingy. Go with your gut- if it's too heartbreaking to leave her there, and you think something is wrong, maybe take her out, but i wouldn't just as a knee jerk reaction.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

bressar  (23-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I plan on having a talk with the carers, I'm very untrusting though and think they are just going to tell me what I want to hear..
    Argh i guess my hesitation is there are going to be so many things in life she doesn't want to do & I don't want to do her more harm than good just because of my own issues with trusting people and wanting to protect her.
    I only have 6 weeks of Uni left am thinking of pulling her out and waiting to try again early next year.
    This parenting gig is sooo tough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I heard that this is normal (especially for toddlers), in fact my centre actually spent some time with me explaining how this often happens. Kids enjoy the first few weeks, then they realise that it's happening every week and there is another adjustment period.

I would speak to the centre about it and ask about this type of regression after initially being happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks babyla
    I rang and spoke to them about it they did say it can happen but didn't really go into too much depth. I'm getting a feeling there is a reason they have vacancies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you go in and spend the day there with her? Then you will get to observe what they do, maybe find out what it is that might be troubling her, and she can spend time there not upset that you have left her.

Otherwise, maybe try another centre. DD changed centres when she was 2.5, and the new one was much more to her liking - more play equipment, more outside time, better food, etc. She settled in on day 1 there, I'm pretty sure she was just stoked to be there instead of the other place.