+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Potential "surprise" pregnancy & age gap of only 15 months....

So I'm 99% sure I'm pregnant.....but DP is away for work right now & doesn't get back for another week, I'm too scared to take a test until he's home again....(this was NOT planned...) but I've got chronic morning sickness just like I had for my first pregnancy, so I'm sure I am pregnant.

My baby is only 6 months old & is a very "high needs" & spirited child.....I'm petrified how I'm going to cope with the pregnancy while taking care of him with next to no sleep (we are up 5-10 times a night at the moment).

I'm scared how I'm going to cope with looking after two babies & only 15 months apart.

I'm worried that my body still hasn't fully recovered from my C-section & what will another pregnancy so close do to my body....

Can anyone out there tell me some positive stories of having babies do close together to make me feel better about this?....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!

My boys are thirteen months old and I was very much like you - unplanned and freaking out! Now that they are two and three, I can honestly say it is the best age gap (not that I know anything else!) Our boys are great friends and play together beautifully. I do look back at photos of how little the oldest one was when the second was born but it all worked out fine!

I also had a c-section for my first and was worried if it was too close but no one else seemed worried. The hospital let me try for a VBAC but DS2 was quite stubborn (16 days over!) so I had another c-section. It really wasn't a problem either and I didn't find it too hard looking after the big one too.

My biggest problem for the second pregnancy was that I was still breastfeeding DS1 when I got pregnant and I ended up weaning him much earlier than I would have otherwise because I was just so amazingly tired. He didn't mind though so it was all good!

Good luck!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hello meet me 4 years ago (except I didn't have the cs but I had pnd) I ended up going to sleep school (which I regret now) other than the sleep thing it was all good I actually found it quiet easy as DS1 was napping twice a day still so I would take DS2 to bed at the same time and I'd have 2x3hr naps each day, when DS1 moved to 1 nap I would get 1 4hr nap each day I found babywearing was my lifesaver it meant one of my children was perfectly happy while I did xyz with the other They are best buddies most of the time now (nearly 4&5) but they do fight a lot!

P.S I recently found out I was UTD while hubby was away, I told him straight after I freaked out to a friend. I guess you know your hubby best but if you do decide to tell him I think it will help- a 'problem' shared is a problem halved

Thanks
    Reviews
    My oldest two boys are 14 months apart and, like you, the second was a surprise. Also, I was a single mum from just after I found out I was pg with number 2 til the oldest was nearly 3. It actually worked out better than I had expected b/c they were able to entertain each other, so it wasn't that bad. Now they're best friends and people think they're twins

I will say, too, that one thing I learned from that time is that when things like that happen, you adapt and get on with it better than you thought you could b/c you have to. When you're faced with it, you just get stuck in, y'know?

Try not to stress, but look forward to having two bubs to love and cuddle

Congrats!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My middle 2 girls were born 10months and 3weeks apart(both born in the same year) They are now 2.5 and 3.5 and I'd have to say it was the best gap so far.. Loved the fact they are so close. People actually think they are twins
    I had c-sections with them and everything went perfect.. Congrats x

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey

I haven't got any experience with this but I'll have a 12 month age gap aNd wonder the same thing. Especially on days like today when I'm unwell.

I have a good family of support around me.

Do you have many helpful family members close by?

I've also been told its all about routine, even more so with 2 small babies. And that it's a lot easier when the smallest is 6 months.

I worry about how I'll stay sane!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs Hun. My BF has 5 month old twinnies and is 9 weeks pregnant again!!! She is freaking too! You will be fine because you will have to be! I Know that sounds harsh but i dont mean it in that way- i mean it as us Mums are strong! make sure you have a great support network around you xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone for your positive stories!

One other question I forgot to ask -- how did you all go with breast feeding the older baby during pregnancy, did your milk supply change? What about after #2 came along, did anyone tandem feed?

The thought of tandem feeding is daunting, but I don't think my little milk monster will be finished anytime soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congrats.

I don't have a small age gap, but my bubba is now 11 months old so I can tell you that it does get easier. She's been a lot more predictable in her daytime naps for many months now and that really helps. She's a little milk monster too, and at 6 months I knew we'd be BFing for some time yet. BUT, right now I'm thinking 12 months is still my goal and I'll reassess then. My point is that even if you weren't pregnant with #2 you might find 12 months of BFing is more than enough. Honestly though, BFing for 6 months is a massive achievement, so if you need to stop from any point now on I say you've done really well! Women do tandem feed, but I think if I had a 15 month age gap I wouldn't bother.

Thanks
    Reviews

Congratulations. You will cope. It is amazing how a second baby makes having one baby look super easy in hind sight! It is tough going in the first few months but you will be rewarded after the first 18 months hen they start to play independently if you and give you breaks. Plus you will be doing nappies for only a short period of time compared to people with bigger gaps. ;-)