+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why does my DD scream for hours each night?

She is 6 weeks and a screamer. I feel like throwing her sometimes. Of course I won't but i am fed up with this.

Me & DH +
    DS 2
    DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Sounds like colic, but I don't have much to go on. Perhaps try some infants friend, which you can buy from most chemists. I also found taking them to a chiro helped a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She's not on nan formula is she? My daughter was screaming between 7-10pm every night until we switched. It could be reflux or wind? My daughter is also 6 weeks, she had an unsettled afternoon. It can be very frustrating but they can't help it & there is usually a reason for it, unfortunately sometimes it's difficult to work out that reason.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Why does my DD scream for hours each night?

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayPrincess View Post
    Sounds like colic, but I don't have much to go on. Perhaps try some infants friend, which you can buy from most chemists. I also found taking them to a chiro helped a lot.
    Thank you. She has infants friend and infacol and has seen an osteo which made a difference only for 24 hours. I just left her to scream for 20 mins but still she won't sleep. It didn't bother me to leave her either. I'm that tired I just don't care!

Me & DH +
    DS 2
    DD

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Why does my DD scream for hours each night?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    She's not on nan formula is she? My daughter was screaming between 7-10pm every night until we switched. It could be reflux or wind? My daughter is also 6 weeks, she had an unsettled afternoon. It can be very frustrating but they can't help it & there is usually a reason for it, unfortunately sometimes it's difficult to work out that reason.
    Thanks for your reply. After 1am and i am still up. Hmm. Anyway she is bf so its not formula but thought it could be something in my diet. Only ate a muffin, slice of bread, egg and water during the day and still the screaming.

Me & DH +
    DS 2
    DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Go and talk to your Dr they would have a better chance of helping you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Silent reflux, colic ?

Thanks
    Reviews

Google 'arsenic hour' or 'witching hour'. It is a natural thing for bubby to want more cuddles and cluster feeding during this time.

All I can suggest is:

A) have your dinner pre-prepared or have someone like your DP agree to be in charge of preparing it.

B) find the position your baby wants to be held in...mine only likes being hoiked way over my shoulder with a tap-tap-tap on her bum. Accept that you will need to keep her in this position...watch Telly, read a book or slow dance to some music...something that makes the time relaxing for you.

C) plan a walk in the stroller...exercise for you and hopefully temporary relief from crying

D) establish a bath and bed routine...I find baths relaxes them even if they tend to still cry throughout. After a bath I either cuddle bub if she's still inconsolable or pop her in the rocker and rock until Shes asleep.

Ultimately you need to accept that you LO is going to be unsettled during this time, plan around it and develop coping strategies..and repeat always 'this too shall pass'.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (23-08-2012),cookiedough  (23-08-2012),lovelymum  (23-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

When I had my son my mum came an stayed with me and was feeding me all these really good meals filled with veges and stuff and my son would scream from 6pm until about 2 am. We realised it was what I was eating that was giving him an upset tummy.

I could pretty much only eat potatoes meat and carrot that was it until his stomach wasn't so sensitive.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Libbyoverton For This Useful Post:

cookiedough  (23-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Second the witching hour opinion, and colic/reflux. That was my DD till 4 mths, drove me insane, but they outgrow it eventually.

U NEED support. I had my mum take DD overnight every now and then, so I could get sleep.. You really need the sleep, otherwise u won't cope.

I found that infacol/infants friend didn't help DD much, I just had to figure out what worked. DD liked being popped over the shoulder and walked while having her back patted - she still cried but didn't scream inconsolably when I did this, so I did that for couple hours each night till she fell asleep. Then I discovered the papasan swing (fisher price) - I read that it settled some babies with colic, by then I was desperate so bought one of eBay.. The side to side swinging motion settled her. Wish I'd found it earlier

I know it's tough, I had the insane urge to hit DD on some of those nites, but never did. Getting help so u can sleep is my biggest tip, assess what goes into your diet as it affects your breast milk, and find a position that works for DD.

Hope things get better for you soon!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jo7 For This Useful Post:

cookiedough  (23-08-2012)