+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Placenta Previa - share ur experiences please?

I've been diagnosed with Placenta Previa Grade 4 - confirmed at my 18 weeks scan (and told I'm at risk of placenta accreta, but i'll deal with that if it happens)

Because of the placement of my placenta, I've been told there's almost no way my placenta will migrate upwards.. I've been told to prepare for bleeding, possible stays in hospital, with my c-section scheduled for 38 weeks, if i make it that far...

Now that I'm 26 weeks and approaching the start of my third trimester when my OB said bleeding is most likely to occur, I'm getting very scared... Was wondering if you could share ur experiences? Did u bleed much? Was there any pain? How did bub fare? Did u have to deliver early?

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi,
    I'm currently looking outside
    My hospital window, I've had bleeds since I was 18 weeks, and I noticed that not a lot of people that have this condition share there stories, so it makes it very lonely. I know that some people can go the whole way with out having any bleeds and they are very lucky I've had seven in total (feels like my waters are breaking everytime but it's not) it can be very scary and traumatizing and if you have any bleeds try and make it to the hospital straight away. I've currently been in hospital for a month with three bleeds in total here and will be having a c section in a few weeks

Ask as many questions as you can because knowledge of your condition
    Makes it easier and you know what is going on and what to expect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Wow, CP, so sorry to hear about your situation.. I had two bleeds early on, week 11 and week 13/14, due to a hematoma tho, not Previa, and I was soooo freaked out I couldn't stop crying. So I kinda know how terrifying it is, hence why I am so scared...

I'm praying I'm one of the lucky ones and make it to full term without any bleeds, but I do want to prepare myself just in case. I have asked questions but somehow hearing answers from my OB isnt reassuring. I want to know about real experiences, I guess the emotional side of it too, not just the medical stuff. But like you've said, not many women will talk about their experiences.. Or maybe not many women have been through Previa complete? Which I doubt coz it's not that rare an issue..

CP did u have any warning before the bleeds? Like pain or cramps or anything? And is bub ok? Growing well? How far along will u be when u have ur csection?

Thanks
    Reviews

No warning and no pain, but I have noticed that bubs is more active during the day before a have a big bleed, feels like he is having a party in there so to speak.. If that helps

C section will be done at 37 weeks so hopefully i have no further bleeds
    For two weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if this is helpful as not technically placenta previa, but I was told I had a low lying placenta at 20 weeks and then scans at 34 and 36 weeks to see if it had migrated upwards and I could delivery vaginally. My OB had also warned me about the possibility of bleeding, hospital stay etc. if it didn't move. Except for a couple of small spots I had no bleeding at all throughout the pregnancy and at 36 weeks it was still only 2 cm from the cervix so he deemed it too risky to deliver vaginally so a C section it was. I was also told that if I went in to labour naturally I'd have to get in to the hospital ASAP for the ceasar. Anyway after all the worrying, I went in at 39 weeks for the C section and came home with my beautiful little girl! The conditions are definitely more common than you hear about. In my mothers group of 8, there were 2 of who had had low lying placentas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i had placenta previa...i bled from 18 weeks, i had several big bleeds that resulted in a few nights in hospital...but mainly just spotting. I was bedrest at home (between intermittent hospital stays) and my mum moved in with us to take care of my DS (and me lol).

I also had my umbilical cord attached to the side and not the top of the placenta which ended up lifting the side of the placenta off my uterus.

ANyway, long story short, I had many scans and when we went in for a scan at 37 weeks, DD was in severe distress and she was born 45 minutes later by emergency section. My placenta was in terrible shape from all the bleeding etc...we were very lucky to be having a scan that day...she needed a few days in special care, but she was perfect

It was a very scary pregnancy for me, traumatic for all of us. My DS was 6 and often woke with DH and I gone and he also picked up on the scared vibe.

My advice would be to take it as easy as possible, get prepared early and ask for help!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had complete placenta previa. I was booked in for a CS at 36+4 but had a big bleed (it was the only bleeding I had the whole pregnancy) at 36+2 and had the CS about 3hrs after the bleeding started and everything went really well. Leading up to it, I was warned that bub might need to go to the special care nursery and that I might need a blood transfusion but none of that happened. Bub was fine and is now almost 8wks old. Forgot to add that I did bleed a lot, I was sitting on the toilet when it happened and when I called my OB, he advised me to call an ambulance, which I did. I had no pain at all before it happened, but I remember thinking that bub was quiet the night before.
    Last edited by bluehawaii; 23-08-2012 at 22:53.