+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long to hear back about rental application

Hey girls! Just after a bit of advise on rental properties and the whole process with applying. I am currently renting a unit off my mum, so haven't had to worry about this whole process before, and we applied for a rental house on tues, which i really love =) but this morning I noticed there was a new viewing listed for that house on Monday next week, so got me thinking the owner might not been interested. I know it can take a few times anyways but just after some thoughts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We knew within 24 hours. I'd call in the morning and ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Also they won't stop showing people through until the lease is signed

Thanks
    Reviews

Each office will have its own policy, ours is 48 hours, the property will still get shown until a deposit is paid or lease is signed, I would ask the agent what their policy is and call them !

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi!

We have just leased out our house, so I can give you a bit of an idea from the landlords end (or at least the way our real estate works, and I assume they are mostly the same?).
    Once the prospective tenant hands in the application, the real estate will process it. By law they have to process every application they get, so length of time could depend on how many they receive. They will check the "tenant ledger" and references from your current real estate (if applicable) to make sure previous rent has been paid on time and house has been kept clean. Then they will check personal and work references, which could hold things up as not everyone answers their phone or returns phone calls right away.
    Once all applications have been processed the real estate offers the landlord a short list based on the landlords criteria (ie, non smoker/no pets/older couple/whatever) and the landlord selects from that. So I guess if the landlord wanted to take their time they could hold things up too.
    Our new tenants saw the house and handed in their application on Friday last week, and we approved them today.... So that's nearly a week.
    I hope this helps. Good luck finding a place

Thanks
    Reviews

I called this morning to check they got my application as I had scanned all my things and sent them an email with all my attachments, and they said they had received it and have printed it out, so guess will just wait now! Thanks eviezmum good to have a diff look on things =) just hate the not knowing part hehe