+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Timber Floors - tell me everything you know

Allow around $100-$150 per Sqm for the timber and the laying and polishing etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (22-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Timber Floors - tell me everything you know

DH and I layed hardwood floors ourselves after we built our house.
    Took us a few months as we were only doing it in the evening after work and weekends. We did the whole house except bedrooms and bathrooms/laundry were tiled by the builder; 100 square metres I think it was.
    We laid them on a concrete slab. Only problem was that our builder of laying an even slab so there were lots of low & high points we had to fix.
    They're very easy to clean. I vaccuum & mop twice a week, sometimes a quick sweep with a swivel sweeper in between. Comes up beautifully even with a sweep. No problems with scratching with the vaccuum. The only deep scratches are from dropping a knife and accidentally dragging something with a sharp edge across the floor. DS drives his many vehicles around the house and there are scuff marks but nothing that looks bad. We plan to sand and polish either when the kids are a bit older or when/if we sell.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (22-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

So what's the difference between hardwood floors and floating timber floors? Is there a big price difference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    So what's the difference between hardwood floors and floating timber floors? Is there a big price difference?
    Yes!!

Floating floors don't look as nice IMO but still can look great!

Not sure what other differences, I doubt they would last as long..

Thanks
    Reviews

Floating floors are engineered. The cheaper ones are all laminate, the more expensive ones have hardwood layers on top.

You can tell the difference when you walk on them - the laminate ones sound almost hollow or tinny. Their durability is also very different.

Proper hardwood boards are definitely warmer than laminate.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Big difference!
    Hardwood floors are exactly that, hardwood all the way through. Floating floors have wood on the top layer and the rest is particle board (will check with DH incase I'm wrong).
    Hardwood is more expensive but can be sanded back many times to get the new look again. Floating floors I think can only be sanded back a couple of times.

My parents have floating floors that looked great when they were new but not so much 7 years later. They dent and scratch easily whereas I don't have to be as careful with my floors.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I guess it depends on what exactly you want. Hardwood or floating, or engineered direct stick.
    Personally I wouldn't do floating flooring, gross, but it's the cheapest option.
    We are getting spotted gum engineered direct stick in our new house. It's costing $20k for the entry, kitchen, living, games, activity, office, hallway, and dining. (Including installation)
    Engineered wood is harder than hardwood itself, and wont require sanding and all that stuff. It can all be done in a day and ready for you to walk on almost immediately. From what I can tell, it's around the same price of hardwood. Also hardwood floors can buckle, split, crack and all that stuff, where engineered won't. For the most part engineered timber flooring is better than hardwood from all the research we have done. It looks the same (coz it is real wood, just engineered) and sounds the same when you walk on it.

It's not that much colder than carpet, but a lot warmer than tiles!
    DF took to our sample with a key and it took A LOT of force for it to scratch.

ETA: IMO there is a massive difference between engineered and laminated (floating floors). Floating floors just look and sound fake:
    Last edited by Guest1234; 22-08-2012 at 20:59.

Thanks
    Reviews

We did ours late last year and after lots of research and deliberating, we went with bamboo floors. We absolutely love them. They're harder and more durable than other floorboards. They still get the occasional scratch here and there but even with 2 kids, we haven't had any noticeable damage. I would suggest doing the research and getting good quality ones.

I think the difference between hardwood and floating is that floating goes on top of the original floor and hardwood generally is nailed to your batons (tho you can get hardwood laid over existing floors). Hardwood is a lot more expensive.

It took DH and his cousin (a carpenter) about 16 hours all up to lay our boards. I left the house both days with the kids but we slept at home. If you did hardwood with sanding and polish etc, you'd probably need to move out for it to dry/because of the smell. Prefinished ones won't have the same issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our top floor cost $4000 for materials alone, nothing for labour as DP did it himself. (approx 25sqm)

The cost of materials depends on the wood, the grade and color .

I love our timber floors. Warmer than tiles, but colder than carpet and waaaaaaay cleaner than carpet.

The BESTEST ever thing to clean it is Enjo and Method - brilliant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

We have floating floors and they're easy to clean. You can't let water sit on them though which means no mopping. A pro in my opinion Haha. We are renting and DP put them in and the carpet himself after our house flooded and we had to replace the other floating floors.

Personally I love carpet for bedrooms but anywhere with food it is definitely easier to clean up spills/messes on timber floors.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub