+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Timber Floors - tell me everything you know

I am sick of our disgusting carpet - I vacuum twice a day and it always looks grotty because it's stained. It was pristine when we moved in here two years ago and we only have one child! It's only going to get worse.

Everyone is telling me to keep the carpet but I do really love the look of timber floors and it would be so much easier in terms of cleaning up messes.

So:
    - what do you see as the pros and cons of timber floors - I know they scratch easily and can be cold.
    - who do I get to do them? DIY would be a nightmare, DH could do it but he's slow. Do I call a builder? A carpenter? Do I buy the floorboards myself and get someone to install them?
    - would we need to move out for a few days while it happens? I guess so...
    - what is your experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't help you with the ins and outs of having them installed but I know when my aunty had floorboards installed they didn't have to move out and it was all done in a couple of days.

As for the cons - compared to carpet there are none! I hate carpet! Yes it's softer, yes it's a bit warmer in winter...but floorboards are easy to clean and they look divine. It is so much easier to clean up kids mess with floorboards too instead of carpet. We have a child with a severe dust mite allergy so don't even have rugs down and the kids still play all over the floor. They don't care. We just grab a cushion to sit on if we're on the floor with them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (22-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We had new floorboards laid when we renovated. We weren't living here so I can't comment on needing to move out, but i'd say you'd only need to move furniture etc out of the rooms being done. They don't take long to lay - it's just the staining/sealing/polishing that takes a few days to do and dry.

I love them. Unashamedly. Yes they can scratch and yes they aren't necessarily as warm as carpet but they look and feel a million times better. I confess I do like them to look aged and worn in so scratches really don't bother me - but even if they do you can get them filled easily (DIY) and sanded back and repolished every few years. Even if you neglect them they reward you with a good sand and polish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It depends what's under the carpet. Have you had a peak at what's under your carpet? We were lucky that our house was built with hard wood timber flooring. It was very scuffed but DF used to formulate floor, um, I can't think what they are called, the products you put on wood floors to seal and protect them. He also used to apply the products as part of his job so he was able to do our floor without too much drama. If you don't have decent floor boards underneath then you could go for the floating floor click board system. They are very easy to lay and you don't need to move out or anything.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did our lounge/dining area.We went to bunnings and bought them,then got our mate whos a builder to install it (with DH helping) for $20 an hour.It took about 8 hours.Including all the extras (like beading,nails etc) it cost us a grand to do.(our house is kinda tiny tho haha)
    Ideally i wanna do right thru,but you do waste A LOT cutting off excess to fit,and once you cut you cant reuse.
    I do prefer the floorboards to carpet but you will still have to sweep everyday,as all dust shows up.I dont use vaccum on them as I am worried about scratching them,and kids arent allowed toys on the floor.
    No need to move out,its basically a matter of dumping everything out of the way to lay them,then pop furniture straight back on.I used the click in ones,if thats what you mean?
    I would def buy them yourself and find a handyman to do it.We orginally looked at Harvey Norman for all our flooring,and labour was going to be more than the product Just get a few quotes and go from there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to *Chels* For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow thanks everyone for the replies. Not sure what's under our carpet, I'm guessing concrete as it's a fairly new house (15 years old), but I'll see if we can somehow find out.

How much would it cost do you think to do a small living room, kitchen, dining and hallway? I'm sure a friend got her whole house done for $2k (although not a great job) but a friend said her parents spent nearly $10k on a similar area to ours?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    We did our lounge/dining area.We went to bunnings and bought them,then got our mate whos a builder to install it (with DH helping) for $20 an hour.It took about 8 hours.Including all the extras (like beading,nails etc) it cost us a grand to do.(our house is kinda tiny tho haha)
    Ideally i wanna do right thru,but you do waste A LOT cutting off excess to fit,and once you cut you cant reuse.
    I do prefer the floorboards to carpet but you will still have to sweep everyday,as all dust shows up.I dont use vaccum on them as I am worried about scratching them,and kids arent allowed toys on the floor.
    No need to move out,its basically a matter of dumping everything out of the way to lay them,then pop furniture straight back on.I used the click in ones,if thats what you mean?
    I would def buy them yourself and find a handyman to do it.We orginally looked at Harvey Norman for all our flooring,and labour was going to be more than the product Just get a few quotes and go from there.
    That sounds like a good way to go. Our house is tiny too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do a measure of all the areas,then go down to Bunnings and see.Ask them there,they should be able to give you a quote.
    Its hard to tell....I had to go out for extras coz we ran out haha.Flooring I think is the best investment ever.I would def spend extra on it! (says me who may blow up my kitchen/laundry/loo coz I hate the tiles soooooo much)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Had floor boards in all our rentals. Love them! Never ever marked them or had any damage done to them.

SO extremely easy to clean!!

I personally don't think they are that cold. My ILs have all carpet and it's the same temp as our.

We just brought a house and we are doing the floors up (timber) my Dad is a builder and is doing them. Our schedule is
    1-2 days to sand the old floors
    1 day to varnish
    1 day for second coat
    3 days out of the house.

We are using a water base which is about twice the cost but doesn't smell as long.

You can go to a flooring place and ask them. A friend had their 3 bedrooms, kitchen, lounge and dinning room done professionally for 2k. I'm not 100% sure if that includes pulling up the carpet.

Do you have floorboard under your carpet? If not it will be very expensive to get them laid and floating floors would be a great deal cheaper.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I'll be back