+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Money money money!

Hey ladies, I copied this from the post I just made... So how much did everyone save before TTC, during TTC and pregnancy? I've already bought things associated like Elavit, etc and I'm writing all these costs down! Will also be going with a private obstetrician.
    Any info/advice on the mulla front or any other front involving conception would be great. Any advise of other things to do beforehand??

Thanks
    Reviews

I guess a big part of that is determined by whether you have difficulty TTC and how long it takes you.

I had saved quite a bit of money before starting but now over 12 months later I'm seeing a fs and on injections and it's hundreds of dollars a month - I don't even want to think what it will be if we move to IVF next year. I'll prob have no savings left by the time I get a baby but it really can't be helped. Hope that's not all too depressing but it's the unexpected reality for a lot of people and I was only 25 when I started trying.

I'm planning on about $4/5000 out of pocket for ob and delivery and prob a few thousand to set up a nursery then hoping to be off work for at least a year so it all adds up pretty quickly. I guess just try save as much as you can and also consider your bills etc while you'll be off and try to reduce any debts as much as possible beforehand.

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The costs of going through a private OB add up really quickly, because they also tend to refer you to private pathology labs and private scanning services.

The actual OB costs do vary a lot depending on what city you live in. There's a cost each time you visit them (initially once a month, increasing to once a fortnight or once a week by the end of the pregnancy, and generally about $50- $100 out of pocket each visit), plus a pregnancy management fee at 20 weeks (anywhere from $1500 to $3500 out of pocket), plus an attendance fee when you deliver in hospital (the out of pocket depends on your health cover).

On top of that, you'll pay for scans at 12 weeks and 19 weeks, and possibly at other times during your pregnancy. Then there's also the cost of blood tests along the way (although these might be cheaper or free if you can get your GP to refer you somewhere for these).

And once you're in hospital, there are costs for accommodation, an anaesthetist (if required), a paediatrician, and possibly more blood tests, scans, etc. Your out-of-pocket expense for each item will depend on your health cover.

The best advice to reduce your out-of pocket costs is to ask your health fund if they can provide you with a list of OBs who are "no-gap". Still a crazy-expensive business, though!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for all that great info! Already got an OB in mind as he is my current gyny and he's fab! I've already started buying things here and there which I think will help a lot once it comes to the time! I've already enquired as far as what the out of pocket expenses will be with my OB so having that information before I get started is helpful!