Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Colic and reflux- help

I need help
    My 3 wk old baby has been diagnosed with both today

I need up to date remedies that have worked for you
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Colic and reflux- help

Growing worked for us. Sorry that you have to deal with it. It really is not fun.

I found putting a rolled up towel under the mattress to incline it a bit helped. As did letting him sleep on his side. Keeping him upright after a feed and massaging his belly sometimes worked.

We had to use medication for ds reflux though and he didnt get much better until he could sit.

Good luck, I hope you find something that helps you!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Colic and reflux- help

We tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked. We literally had to wait until she grew out of it at 10mths or so. She was put on Zantac syrup for reflux, but nada for colic.

Having said that, warm bath, burping really well, feeding more upright than flat and massages did somewhat help. Absolutely no supermarket treatments worked...but everyone is different.

Good luck, we found it to be one of the hardest parts of parenting, to date.

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Go to the reflux website. They have loads of info. And also a great members only section. It's a wonderful support group.

All 3 of my kids ate refluxers. Drugs are good!! A Chiro also worked wonders for us to. Lots cuddles, lots of upright. Best wishes

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks girls, I will take all that advice and will go look at the website now too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya October,

Thought I'd check in. (I'm from RISA so I like to check the reflux forum and make sure the mums here are doing ok).

How are you going now? Medicated? Any better? Still hard going?

Let us know. Or might see you over on the RISA forums!

We're also on FB if that helps.

Cheers

Jo

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks so much Jo.
    I got a pamphlet to your organization from my lactation consultant, but haven't joined the forum yet.
    Baby on mylanta (worked for one day) and seeing paed on Tuesday. I've heard lots about losec, is that the holy grail im after?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

Sorry i know im joining a bit late into the conversation. Losec works very well but differs with each baby/child.
    I would recommend a baby probiotic to help things along. Also have you considered a Chiropractor?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Losec could possibly be that holy grail for your bubby if put on the right level of medication.

My DD is on Nexium (which is the same but a higher dose) and it was the holy grail for about about 2 months, but she seems to be regressing at the moment. So I'm also waiting for our paed appointment to see if we can increase her meds.

Reflux can be a long road. Unfortunately not all babies do grow out of it that quickly, some babies can still suffer from it well into childhood. Others grow out of it by 12 months (or sooner).

Chances are though if you or the baby's father and your families suffer from hayfever, asthma, eczema, food intolerances or other allergies, it will be a matter of working out what causes the reflux so you can manage it better.

If you're one of the lucky ones, it may well be a case of an immature digestive system that bubs will grow out of.

I just wrote something similar on another post about reflux. I don't mean to sound like the bearer of bad news or bringer of doom and gloom, but I know that before DD was diagnosed with silent reflux I was told she'd grow out of her unsettledness and wind etc, but when that time came and it didn't happen, it was devastating. I just want to bring a bit of reality to the situation.

I hope and pray your bubs does grow out of it, but know that she may not so quickly and if that's the case, definitely get onto RISA. I've just joined them myself and already other forum users have been an awesome help to me!

Good luck!!!