+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dropping kids at kindy

At pre-school we would have to go in and sign the kids in, but would never stay to long as the teachers preferred parents to leave so they could get on with the day.
    Kindergarten you can just drop at the gate. If you have the time to go in your very lucky. Many parents can only just drop them at the gate, quick kiss and 'i love you' before having to rush off to work. (actually I see many parents with pre schoolers having to dash off to work as well)
    Doesn't mean they love the child less than the parent that stays longer. Or they are not interested in what their child is doing in school. Your post sounds a little judgmental...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gggmama For This Useful Post:

faroutbrusselsprout  (22-08-2012),jez  (23-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I drop DS2 off at 3yr old kindy and don't stay. He's only there for 2.5 hours! I wish he could sign himself in. It's a total drag taking DD out of the car and lugging them both in. And if it's raining! Don't get me started! I

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    On the days I take them in, my kindy kid gets a puzzle, cuddle, kiss etc... unless I'm reading mum for the 6 yr old, then I have to do a kindy dump and run.

Otherwise they take the bus and get a cuddle and kiss at the driveway (only the kindy kid, the 6 yr old shoots me daggers if I even look like I'm going to attempt a PDA)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

At pre school I always stayed for around 30 mins! I signed them in, helped put their things away then did activities with them and didn't leave until after roll call!

Now both in primary school they can catch the bus to school but I still like to go in two - three mornings to 'touch base' with their teachers, help with reading, attend assemblies etc

I think it's in your child's best interest to keep an open relationship with their teachers!

Some mothers have not even stepped foot in school all year (kids catch bus too and from school every day!) I couldn't imagine being so detached from my child's learning!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (22-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Dropping kids at kindy

Depends on how jasper is, some mornings it's a bit like "hey dude - can I get a kiss maybe..?" But usually I take him in, sign in, drop off his bag, drink bottle, get his hat on, get a kiss before he runs off and say hi to his teacher's so I know they've acknowledged he's been dropped off.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is a requirement at DS's kinder that we must bring them into the classroom, but I don't stay long as DD is outside the door waiting for me. The pram only fits if I unbolt the double door so I don't bother unless I'm there for a meeting with the teacher or to stay as a parent helper. I've been the parent helper once already (last term) and will be again next Tuesday. I do stay for a minute to have a look around some days, but I don't like to leave DD outside too long, and anyway, DS runs straight to his friends and barely looks to say goodbye to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies. Yes we are supposed to walk them to class at ds's kindy at the very least.
    I drop Connor at daycare first, check the mail on the way to kindy then wait for ds to put his lunch and water in fridge, fruit in fruit bowl, say hello to other parents in passing and the teachers then do an activity with liam before stopping to pick up my daily coffee then be at work by 8am. Just my normal enjoyable morning.
    I do love how ds still loves my hugs and kisses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is very helpful if parents at least touch base with teachers a couple of times a week. There are so many little things that can just work so much better if you can talk face to face. Sensitive issues like illness, bumps and scrapes, head lice and behavioural issues are much easier to discuss in person and if they are not discussed it can create much bigger problems. I must admit, from the teacher perspective, I do get a little put out if parents leave thier child in the front foyer and I find them during one of my regular checks for wandering children. Its hard to guarantee a child's safety if I dont even know they are there.

I do understand the need to get to work but surely a "hey, DS has had a great/bad morning, Bye DS, have a good day." doesnt take up that much time? Beyond that little bit of politeness, it really all depends on the child and the parents. They need to do whatever works for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    It is very helpful if parents at least touch base with teachers a couple of times a week. There are so many little things that can just work so much better if you can talk face to face. Sensitive issues like illness, bumps and scrapes, head lice and behavioural issues are much easier to discuss in person and if they are not discussed it can create much bigger problems. I must admit, from the teacher perspective, I do get a little put out if parents leave thier child in the front foyer and I find them during one of my regular checks for wandering children. Its hard to guarantee a child's safety if I dont even know they are there.

I do understand the need to get to work but surely a "hey, DS has had a great/bad morning, Bye DS, have a good day." doesnt take up that much time? Beyond that little bit of politeness, it really all depends on the child and the parents. They need to do whatever works for them.
    My thoughts exactly. On a few occasions I have found kindy kids wandering around outside the school gate and have taken them into class. If anyone is busy it's me but I make the time and effort with ds regardless. I like to know what he is doing at kindy (there is a timetable on the wall) I note the parents whom don't come in to the class room or do but are in a hurry to leave are mostly non working mums. I'm just a bit bewildered!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have to sign my son in. I'm a teacher working on the days he goes so I only get to help him put his morning tea and lunch in... Give him a kiss and say have a nice day - then I'm boot scooting out the door to get back to my room.