+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Almost-5yo continually sucking her fingers...

Any suggestions on how to discourage her? When her hands are not busy, they are constantly going into her mouth, and I'm blue in the face telling her to stop :screwy:

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**

Thanks
    Reviews

My daughter used to do this up until very recently when she was in new situations where she was shy: (do you know why tour daughter dies it to begin with??)starting pre school and starting dancing first few Times. The teachers encouraged her to do something with her hands to try and distract her. At dancing it was hold hands with another student, or hands in the air and do jazz runs. pre school was hold this play doh or cut this paper out etc so hands were always busy. And of course reminding her to the hands out of mouth every so often till she eventually stopped on her own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

If it is insecurity that triggers the finger sucking (my dd only does it when in new situations or confronted) could u replace this behaviour with another...my idea is you could give her a special amulet that reminds her of a mantra like 'I am as brave as a lion'. When u catch her sucking her fingers you could remind her you are always there to protect her and she is as brave as a lion. In public so not to embarrass her u could just point to her amulet u give her...i think something like a heart necklace. There will need to be lots of talk about what u r doing. I would Make sure she knows u r a team, working together to stop the habit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sorry one thing...kids who suck thumbs or fingers when continually told to stop feel even more nervous and pressured which just increases the need to seek the comfort received from sucking their thumbs or fingers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My almost 6yo is constantly sucking her fingers, and we have been trying to get her to stop since she was 3yo.

One of her most prevalent times is whilst asleep and I was recently given a tip to combat that. Roughly wrap her fingers in bandaid tape prior to bed, that way it will not be comfortable for her to suck and she might not do so whilst asleep. I only tried it once and it was successful, but since then we've all been sick so I decided to wait until a better time to try again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like a comfort measure. Would you say they are an anxious child?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Almost-5yo continually sucking her fingers...

Thanks everyone, no she's not anxious, its more an unconscious thing, she does it when she's list in something like TV, books, looking out the car window etc. PP who mentioned the bandaid, I thought of that but she hates the things cos they hurt when coming off, so I'm not allowed tie anything around her, not even wool etc. I thought of that nail biting stuff that tastes awful, but not sure if you can use it for kids...
    Lol I might just tie a scarf around her face bandit style

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Almost-5yo continually sucking her fingers...

Ggmama that's probably the best thing I can try, just to keep her hands busy as much as I can, and keep reminding her. Its so unhygenic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I was a nail biter as a kid and my parents used a product called Ban Suck which worked for me. And it was safe for kids. You can also buy special guards for the fingers to help stop them sucking them. I know my brother in law had to get one for his 8 year old as he was getting infections from his fingers being moist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the past, we've put socks on her hands when she went to bed, and if she kept them on all night she would get a toy in the morning. (I had a bag full of little toys for her to pick from.) Unfortunately this didn't work as well as I had hoped, with her unconsciously pulling the socks off in her sleep to suck her fingers.

Someone suggested taping the socks around her wrist, but I didn't deem it appropriate.