+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Old Testament?

I believe the Old Testament is just as important as the New Testament. After studying both I don't think they can really be separated. Neither makes real sense without the other.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (22-08-2012),Happy2be3  (22-08-2012),RainbowSky  (22-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just as a curiosity thing, how do Christian(Oh Gods, this is gonna sound offensive. I'm SO sorry. I genuinely don't mean it to be if it comes out this way. I can't word it) How do Christians match the OT God with the NT God? If they're the same God, why is one seemingly incredibly cruel, all smiting and what not, but then humans kill his son and he's suddenly... Nice? Wouldn't you be even MORE smitey over that??

Apparently we're made in Gods image, and we have a light and dark side, so theoretically so would God, but it just always seems odd that there seems to be this switch that made God go from being really mean to really nice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (22-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Old Testament?

Seventh Day Adventist believe and follow the Old testament.... The 10 commandments for example.
    ***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Old Testament?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Just as a curiosity thing, how do Christian(Oh Gods, this is gonna sound offensive. I'm SO sorry. I genuinely don't mean it to be if it comes out this way. I can't word it) How do Christians match the OT God with the NT God? If they're the same God, why is one seemingly incredibly cruel, all smiting and what not, but then humans kill his son and he's suddenly... Nice? Wouldn't you be even MORE smitey over that??

Apparently we're made in Gods image, and we have a light and dark side, so theoretically so would God, but it just always seems odd that there seems to be this switch that made God go from being really mean to really nice.
    There's a few different parts to your question, so I'll try and address them separately. God, as in Yaweh, doesn't have a "dark" or sinful side. He is all knowing and all good. In Genesis it says that men were made in God's image... The important thing to remember is that the bible has been translated by many people, and people who aren't perfect, so it's important to know what the root word is there. In Genesis when it says men were made in "God's image" the word God there in Hebrew is "Elohim" which actually means Angels. We don't look like God, we look like Angels (which is why all the images of Angels that people have drawn with wings aren't so accurate lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Old Testament?

That's interesting, in Hebrew i thought the word for angel is Malach?
    Also my understanding was that we were created in G-DS image means we were made with in his nature and mind, the human spirit , like G-d is immortal it has nothing to do with physical appearance
    A perfect example of different interpretations of the bible!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (28-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Old Testament?

Ok here is my understanding as a Jew. The old testament u refer to is a very lose translation of the Hebrew/Aramaic original. The Hebrew alphabet is numerical too so the meaning is very multi layered. It is not just face value...it is greatly debated. Gd has many names in the Torah. Malach is an angel. We r created in gds image. Gd create choice and so comes the concept of evil or wrong doing.