+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast pump and feeding question

Breast pump question......
    Hi everyone,
    I have tried to search this forum for more information but cannot seem to find anything. I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my first baby and I'm going to buy a breast pump this weekend. I have no idea what to look for? If I'm planning to only breast feed why do I even need one? Do I need bottles and sterilizer as well?
    I'm so confused. Does the baby drink water from a bottle?
    I'm doing a breast feeding class in a couple of weeks but want to buy everything this week.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I BF my 6 month old DD. The pump and bottles are just personal choice I think. I have mine so that DH can do the odd feed and my mum can babysit when I have osteo appointments and the like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My pump was instrumental in developing my supply. It also meant I could go out occasionally, as I was uncomfortable with giving him formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    you don't need a pump, bottles or steriliser.

if you do want to feed expressed breast milk, you don't need to sterilise your bottles etc, just wash well with hot soapy water and rinse.

Wait until you do the course. Are you doing it through the ABA?

Feeding baby is the best way to establish your supply. In normal circumstances, expressing in the early days can cause more problems than it solves.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You don't need one unless you intend on pumping milk if going back to work, or if you spend time away from bub and your partner is required to feed him/her. Even then, you can hand express.

I bought a pump when I was pregnant with my first son, and I have only used it a handful of times. I had a night out last year and actually hand expressed some milk for DH to feed DS2, because I couldn't be bothered putting the pump together and fiddling around finding the pieces and washing them after.

You don't need to sterilise. It's not necessary.

You also don't need to give your baby water in a bottle - breastfed babies don't need water. This explains it further: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/baby-water/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Oh and if you DO need to pump for a one off reason, it is probably more economical to hire a pump. There are a lot of places these days that hire pumps out (even the awesome hospital grade double pumps). You can also hire through the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) and if you are a member of the ABA, it's half price.

ETA: Snap MissM!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you for your replies.
    I'm just doing the course through my hospital - royal north shore.
    The reason I thought I needed a pump straight away was I read if the baby doesn't empty your breasts you have to express the rest?
    I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel hand expressing.
    I'm not going back to work for at least 12 months so that's not an issue and I will most probably be with the baby all the time at least for the first few months.
    If I did pump milk and my husband bottle fed her, would this confuse her?
    Is it true it is safe to have an emergency supply of milk?
    Sorry for the million questions, no one I know has any kids yet!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jessica86 View Post
    Thank you for your replies.
    I'm just doing the course through my hospital - royal north shore.
    The reason I thought I needed a pump straight away was I read if the baby doesn't empty your breasts you have to express the rest?
    I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel hand expressing.
    I'm not going back to work for at least 12 months so that's not an issue and I will most probably be with the baby all the time at least for the first few months.
    If I did pump milk and my husband bottle fed her, would this confuse her?
    Is it true it is safe to have an emergency supply of milk?
    Sorry for the million questions, no one I know has any kids yet!
    Oh no, don't do that. You will end up with more milk than you need and risk oversupply which can lead to other problems (mastitis for example). Your body will produce the right amount based on how much your baby feeds.

Nipple confusion does occur, yes. I prefer not to use bottles prior to three or four months. There are varying recommendations as to if and when you should introduce a bottle, however the general consensus is to avoid using them for the first three or so months and especially while breastfeeding is being established. A lot of LC's actually recommend avoiding bottles altogether and going straight to cup feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jessica86,

My first bfg experience did not turn out as I had hoped when I had DS. DS fell asleep constantly at my breast and was given formula out of my ignorance. Also probably due to poor latch (though many said bfg is painful whether the latch is correct or not), my nipples bled and I was in pain. I had milk coming in, but due to nipple pain, I didnt direct feed. I expressed using an Avent manual pump which was hard work. I think my supply was already affected and by day 10 when I went back to my lactation consultant it was too late. I tried using Medela SNS and my friend lent me a Pump In Style but my supply could not be built up. Ended up supplementing with formula heavily.

This round I have read up a lot to prepare myself. It is good that you are doing that.

Unfortunately, I am not like some mums who ooze milk or have so much. I wish!

So this time, in case I run into the problems I encountered previously, I have purchased a secondhand Medela Pump In Style. You can hire hospital grade pumps too like other ladies mentioned. Or if you dont mind secondhand pumps, Ebay/Gumtree has a lot. I really dont want to fail this time so I am doing what IMO is my best. But honestly it is a fact that a small % of women just have low supply, although hoping I am not one of them.

As a backup plan, I have whipped out my steriliser (which I have used for DS1) and prepared some new bottles, just in case I ended up using formula. there's no need. I am also confused about the sterilising part cos I kept reading people who sterilise and people who dont. I am preparing to bring a cup and dropper to hosp so I can express colostrum for my baby. Not sure if I need to sterilise those items too. Anyone can help?

Wishing you success with your bfg!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have used a breast pump on and off while BF my kids. I think it's handy to be able to express occasionally so the Dad can do a feed or so you can go out or get some sleep. A starter kit like this might be a good idea :
    http://shop.bigpond.com/Product.asp?...tail&ID=182141