+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Why don't my kids like anything I cook?! Grr!

I love cooking from scratch. I absolutely love it! I make all kinds of things and up until recently, both kids were really open to new things and tried and enjoyed everything (DS3.5, DD2). But lately it's a struggle and most nights ds is going to bed insisting he's not hungry. Fair enough - growth spurts and all that.
    But the other night I was soooo tired and sick I did a lazy meal of a boiled egg, some steam-fresh veggies and toast soldiers and they WOLFED it down. Still sick, last night I did the same, this time with some homemade nuggets I had frozen, a boiled egg and steamed veggies.
    They LOVED IT! And ds just asked for that same dinner again tonight.

So, question/debate topic:

Is it cheating/lazy? It's all healthy, so the actual nutritional content isn't my concern, but by giving in and making these kinds of 'kid' dinners and not encouraging them to try my grown up dinners am I actually fostering 'picky eaters' or am I just making life a little less stressful and ensuring he puts something good in his tummy at night?

I've often wondered this - no doubt it is easier to do this almost 'finger food' style of dinner, with heaps less arguments, but I want to grow adventurous little people who will try something other than nuggets and spaghetti bolognese.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think it's cheating/lazy to prepare healthy child friendly meals, just sensible.

I personally think it's better to avoid food battles and I involve DD in meal preparation and give her choices (within reason) of what she wants to eat.

You can still introduce more adventurous food but do it at their pace.

I also think by involving them in the preparation and food choices you are allowing them to exercise some independence which is an important part of toddler/child development.
    Last edited by DailyDiversion; 22-08-2012 at 08:42.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (22-08-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Why don't my kids like anything I cook?! Grr!

No I don't think you are fostering picky eaters, I think you have tried your best to encourage them and they just don't like it. I love trying out new meals too, and I got so cheesed off with the constant rejections and battles. Now I cook two versions of the same meal. If I'm cooking enchiladas, they get plain fried chicken, beans, sweetcorn, salad and taco shells, all laid out separately on one plate, while dh & I have all the above assembled into a baked enchilada with sauces etc. they can see what we eat and have the chance to try it if they want not that they have yet but one day they will! I hope lol. At least dh & I get something tasty and there's no fight to get them to eat.

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you are cheating at all. Your kids are eating healthy food, I think that is what matters. My DS is quite a bit younger but I have already noticed a trend in that the more effort I put in, the less likely he is to eat it.

I was a very fussy eater until I was in my 20's. I remember lots of battles with my parents which just made me more fussy and dig my heals in that I wasn't eating it. Now I eat loads of foods that I would never of considered before and have a great diet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Cool! 3 people after my own heart!

Too right about the effort! The more slapped together it gets the happier they are

I think I will keep it simple for a while and just keep offering them to try my dinner.

It's probably my own fault. The other day I made a mild curry which (unbeknownst to me) had a 'creeps up on you' heat. They actually liked this one, and ate it all happily, and then at the end, once all the plates were clean, dd was sticking her tongue out, wiping it on anything nearby as though she had hair stuck on it, and ds kindly told me I put too much fire in, and next time I should make it colder. A glass of milk fixed it all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (22-08-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    lol we can't give anything spicy to the kids at all, they complain it makes their tongues "scratchy" lol. Maybe it does make hair grow on their tongues hee hee

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree with all the others above. I try to "modify" what we are having to make it kid friendly so in most cases its the same ingrediants. My kids prefer things a bit plainer than we do.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd do the same! I'd still also sit down and have your dinner with them tho, and let them try different bits and pieces off your plate so that its not all foreign to them.

And it's great that they have a healthy taste! My boys wouldn't do the steamed veggies :/

Thanks
    Reviews

My 3 year old is the same. I can always get her to eat plain boiled/steamed veg, pasta and meat.

But she won't eat casseroles or curries or really saucy things.

Keep it simple and avoid the fights (more likely to damage the food relationship). Keep offering other foods and let them decide.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't push the boys. I never have. I make healthy meals for myself and DH... they are expected to TRY it, they don't have to LIKE it... they need to have the same number of mouthfulls as their age... and then they can choose something different (such as toast or cereal... nothing else I have to cook). It's good these days because Oliver and Jordan are involved with cooking, so they are quite happy to suggest and help cook meals that I at least know they will eat. They love Mexican food, Italian food and curries, so we eat a bit of those.

I just tell them that their tastes change as they get older, and unless they try something, they won't know if their tastes have changed yet. You might hate mushrooms one day,and then your tastes will change and you'll like them, so you know your getting older.

However, at 2 and 3.5 I just made them foods they would eat which were a variation on mine... and nothing together, everything separate... so they could eat the bits they like, try the bits that were new, and leave the bits they didn't like... rather than having it all in one, like I do, and them not eating any of it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

wigglemay  (22-08-2012)