+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unhappy Freaking out!

I've kinda developed a completely irrational fear of surgery. before i birthed my dd i was fine with any surgey, infact i would be excited (sounds crazy i know but i used to think it was cool) but since my birth i have had 2 minor surgeries and have completely freaked out and have been so so very sick thinking about it.
    I have to have surgery on Friday and i cant tell you what is going on in my head at the moment. im having a major freakout and keep thinking horrible things and i already feel pain, tingles and stuff in the area of where i will be operated on (gall bladder) one thought in particular that is bothering me is that with general anesthetic you arent actually numbed you are put to sleep and if the person does not d it rightt you could wake up during surgery and feel everything... just like what happened when i had the emergency cesarean. (epi and spinal failed to numb me completely and i felt them cut me and dig around inside until i screamed for them to stop) arrrgh. i cant sleep .

has anyone else had or have a similar fear and what can i do to ease my mind. i really dont want to have the suegery. (have to though)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Freaking out!

Well no wonder your freaking out after experiencing that csection. I can't imagine how painful that would of been. Don't forget tho mistakes like that are very rare these days. And it's ok to be scared. Have you told the doctors this? They might be able to put your mind at ease somehow. Sorry you are feelin like this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Freaking out!

I have no advice but I feel sick to my stomach for you, I can easily see how that experience would affect your mindset when it comes to anything medical. you poor thing
    I second talking to your gp, perhaps look into hypnotism?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please don't be scared i've had my gall bladder removed and it was one of the easiest surgeries i've been through I know its scary and i was exactly the same but it will all be ok. a general anesthetic is completely different to the spinal and even if heaven forbid you did wake up in the surgery there is something in the anesthetic to make you forget it anyway. does that make sense? there is such a minute possibility of you waking up that i honestly think it will not happen to you.

just think after the surgery you can eat ANYTHING that you want without the fear of having an attack go you, you can do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    General anaesthetic is completely different to a spinal or epidural. They work in completely different ways. People feeling surgery under a GA or being aware is EXTREMELY rare. I love having a GA, you get a good sleep!! Maybe try to focus on the fact it is different to the trauma you have had recently. It is worth mentioning that you are traumatised to the anaesthetist on the day, or if you are having a pre op appointment. They may be able to give you some info or a calming drug beforehand.
    Remember that spinal and epi's have a large rate of failures. They are specific for a region, so if the needle isn't in exactly the correct spot, then you may have feeling. GA works on relaxing ALL the muscles, and getting you to sleep. You will have no awareness.

Good luck for your surgery on Friday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the replies. I know that the spinal and epi are differant to the general and that the likelyness of something going wrong is low, but i still cant help but feel scarex. i was put under general when i yelled for them to stop. i have been put under general twice so i know the deal. but i still cant get rid of this sick feeling. sorry im ranting again. anyway thanks again for yhe replies and advice. i will try to talk to the doc tomorrow whe. i go in for my pre admission appointment and see what i can do.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Freaking out!

Maybe try to think of it that the GA was how they managed to get you to not feel the pain when your epi failed?? IYKWIM.

Totally understandable to be feeling like you are. I think they will give you a premed. I hope you manage to keep as calm as possible beforehand. Xx

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wasn't too phased about giving birth to DD, but I have anxiety and when the male doctor had to examine me a day before my anxiety flared up. I felt ill and even threw up after although he was only doing his job and nothing wrong at all in the slightest, I just felt violated and cried hysterically for a good half hour. Thinking about it now it makes me feel so silly but it's just a random fear I have developed now and I have to just deal with it. It scared me so much I didn't have my 6 week check after DD's birth.

Now thinking about having another child petrifies me only for the fact I do not want to be examined again.

BUT, having another child is in the plan book and I am going to need to bite the bullet and deal with it all in the future.

If I was you I would express my concerns to the doctor. Ask EVERYthing you need too and what you need to confirm for your own peace of mind. I will be doing that myself to try help myself feel better.

Massive hugs And try to think about how you will feel after you have had it done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havnt read the replies, call the hospital and ask to speak to the social worker ASAP, they may be able to calm your fears

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Freaking out!

I have the same fear, except my fear is not waking up