+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Has anyone ever moved a family member in to a home?

My Gran is moving this week.

she has gone ...well..off the wall.

She called my DD a sh1itty b?tch today..

she keeps saying she hates us..
    I lied to her today and told her that I will be happier if she is in there as I can move to brisbane..

Its not true..and I hated saying it..

But does anyone know if this is normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is pretty normal for someone to feel upset/angry at that stage of their life. Going from being an independent adult for years to having to move from your home into a new environment, surrounded by strangers and losing a large amount of independence must be a horrible situation. My Nan had to go into a home, she wasn't happy and never really settled in but I made sure I visited as many times as I could each week, called on the days I did not visit and made the effort to take her to our house/out to the shops so she didn't feel 'dumped'. The place where your Gran is moving should be able to provide information for family members to assist in settling the resident in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks tainted..

I will call them tomorrow for advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We moved my Grandfather and Godfather into homes and well it was pretty much like you are experiencing. Both had various forms of dementia which added to their frustrations. It was a very hard time for everyone but they did settle eventually but it was a long hard road with many setbacks too. Definitely speak to the home about ways you can cope with the transition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes it was awful, she hit out at us too. She lived in a granny flat downstairs for most of my childhood. It was really hard for her an she lashed out as a way of coping. My grandad didn't really get that he was going anywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you try to get her in for some respite first? We had an old family friend that we cared for and he was adamant that he was never going to live in a home... he went for 2 weeks respite at a few different places and changed his mind and some what happily went to the home. Bless his independent soul.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rbottom For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (22-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Has anyone ever moved a family member in to a home?

Quote Originally Posted by Ishtyban View Post
    My Gran is moving this week.

she has gone ...well..off the wall.

She called my DD a sh1itty b?tch today..

she keeps saying she hates us..
    I lied to her today and told her that I will be happier if she is in there as I can move to brisbane..

Its not true..and I hated saying it..

But does anyone know if this is normal?
    Normal for her to feel that way hun. I sat with someone for nearly an hour with her crying her heart out about how much she hates her family because they out her in the home. She was still crying when I left but I had 14 other people to look after but I kept going in to check on her.

Many of them love the facilities. Can you encourage her to do activities and speak with the activities officer.

She will be angry for awhile but they come good. They have their good and bad days.

Hugs to you and her.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe have a talk to her GP about starting some antidepressants, it's a big change and she obviously isn't coping well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Has anyone ever moved a family member in to a home?

Quote Originally Posted by wilsmum View Post
    hey there...my son is 16 months old and has always been a pretty good sleeper but i have found that he goes through patches (lasting a few weeks) of waking in the middle of the night which can be quite stressful. i used to get up and feed him back to sleep but i've toughened up (not tough enough to control cry though ) but i find if i go in and pat him for a bit and then put him back down (sometimes takes a few attempts) that he will go back to sleep himself and then he'll start sleeping fine again. we also went from 2 sleeps to just 1, but i think that is natural.
    i have started taking wil out more to the park etc to tire him out which seems to help!
    good luck!!
    Does the facility have their own doctor or would you be using her own? Something else you may need to consider too.

I really hope its a smooth transition for her and she enjoys her time there.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub