+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Grr!!! Don't need this extra stress.

So, I work for a large supermarket company and have done so for the past 8 years.
    I've been pretty sick with morning sickness the past 8 weeks and have had a lot of time off work but nothing has been said as they knew I was pregnant. However at my Obs appt on Monday she said I was still able to work but advised me that it wasnt safe for me to lift over 5kg and push and pull the heavy pallets. I gave my boss a heads up and said that I would get the letter stating that to him ASAP. I got a phone call this arvo saying that I needed to get a clearance certificate from my doctor to say I could do my full duties at work (I'm a nightfiller) otherwise I would have to go on maternity leave or find another job. Because it wasn't their duty to have to find a suitable job for me because I was the one who couldn't meet the requirements of doing the job. I do 36 hours a week.
    What's my rights? I can't ring the union until the morning but it's really stressing me out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I know in my company their obligation is to find you a "safe job" until YOU decide to go on maternity leave. Ask to see their parental leave policy and obligations.
    Definitely speak to your union rep and ask to have them present at any further discussions with your boss.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Grr!!! Don't need this extra stress.

Im sure by law they have to find u a safe job. Google maternity at work industrial relations.
    It had all the info

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes they have to provide employees with a safe job - see below. If not you can go on paid "no safe job" leave.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/par...itlements.aspx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Before going to the union, can you please call HR? They can let you know all about the policies. What your boss has said is completely wrong. They do need to find you a safer job and you do not take maternity leave until bub is due.
    Note that when you hit 36 weeks and still working, you will need to provide a medical cert to state that you can continue to work past 36 weeks.
    I work in HR and maternity questions all the time! You have a lot of rights!